UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor pvanleeuwen
Visitor

VCU118 PCIE not recognised

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm trying to use a VCU118 board for ASIC prototyping, with our AXI master design attached to the PCIE AXI bridge. The problem I have is that the PC does not recognise the PCIE core at all. 

Now I did a lot of trial designs basically moving from the PCIE example design to my own full design step-by-step, taking note which designs are still recognised and which are not and keeping track of the properties of the these trial designs.

As it turns out, whether or not the PC recognises the PCIE core seemsto be a function of the bitfile size ... not 100% sure but that's definitely the pattern I see.
So I figure it simply takes too long to configure the FPGA for it to be recognised, which makes sense. Unfortunately, the PC still won't recognise it after a new warm boot, even though the FPGA is not reconfigured when you do that. (seems like it won't recognise anything not recognised during a previous cold boot??).

Now Xilinx seems to provide a solution for this problem called 'Tandem PROM'... except that they don't support it for the bridge design on Ultrascale+ devices yet :-(

So does anyone have any bright ideas on how to otherwise work around this issue?
Because I really do need this to work, that's what we bought the board for in the first place ...

Regards,
Pascal

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: VCU118 PCIE not recognised

Jump to solution

@pvanleeuwen

Can you please test as mentioned in the steps below and let us know the result? This test will eliminate the FPGA programming time to be the reason for the failure.

1. Keep the host machine powered OFF

2. Program the FPGA

3. Power on the host machine

Enable "JTAG Debugger" option with the IP to know the status of the link up. Refer to AR#68134 (https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/68134.html) for guidance to test with this debug feature.

Do these tests with IP example design.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
4 Replies

Jump to solution

@pvanleeuwen

Can you please test as mentioned in the steps below and let us know the result? This test will eliminate the FPGA programming time to be the reason for the failure.

1. Keep the host machine powered OFF

2. Program the FPGA

3. Power on the host machine

Enable "JTAG Debugger" option with the IP to know the status of the link up. Refer to AR#68134 (https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/68134.html) for guidance to test with this debug feature.

Do these tests with IP example design.

Visitor pvanleeuwen
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hmm ... so how do I program the FPGA with the machine powered off, considering the board is powered from the machine's power supply?

I guess I could power the board with the power supply delivered in the package (instead of from the PC's power supply), but I'm not sure if that is safe to do so with the board being in the PC, let alone if I actually power up the PC itself ... 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@pvanleeuwen

You can use the power supply delivered in the package to power the board and program the FPGA.

Visitor pvanleeuwen
Visitor

Jump to solution

Ok, I hooked up the provided power supply and simply power up the FPGA before I power up the PC. That seems to do the trick ... the board now shows up with lspci. (so no need to insert any debug logic, it just works)

I guess for what we want do do with the board, it's an acceptable workaround.

Thanks!

0 Kudos