cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fingertouch0
Observer
Observer

Multi-function device in Virtex6

Is there a possibility of build up a multi-function PCI express device on Virtex6 PCIe block?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
john.h
Explorer
Explorer

Since the answer of "Sure" might leave you with little satisfaction, what do you mean by a "Multi-function device" such that you might possibly not be able to implement it?  You can do almost anything you want with FPGAs so why would you not be able to do whatever it is you think you can't do?  What's holding you back?
0 Kudos
fingertouch0
Observer
Observer

I'm not shure what I think in the rigth way, but there is quotation from UG197 (Virtex5 integrated EP block): 

"Virtex-5 FPGA Integrated Endpoint Block for PCI Express Designs
The Virtex-5 FPGA Integrated Endpoint block contains the functionality defined in the
specifications maintained by the PCI-SIG (www.pcisig.com):
• Compliant with the PCI Express Base 1.1 Specification
• Endpoint block or Legacy Endpoint block for PCI Express designs
• x8, x4, x2, or x1 lane width
• RocketIO™ GTP and GTX transceivers implement a fully compliant PHY
• Block RAMs used for buffering
• Fully buffered Transmit and Receive
• Management interface to access configuration space and internal configuration
• Full range of maximum payload size (128 to 4096 bytes) supported
• Up to 6 x 32 bit or 3 x 64 bit base address registers (BARs), or a combination of 32 bit
and 64 bit
• BARs configurable for memory or I/O

• One function
• Signals to the fabric for statistics and monitoring
• Up to two virtual channels (VCs)
"

Unfortunately, I didn't find direct datasheet for the hardware PCIe block for Virtex6, logiCore IP datasheet only, and it don't include information about the question.  I mean there should be a corresponding configuration space for  every implemented function in the device, isn't it? Would it be able to implement configuration spaces for multi-function device? 

0 Kudos
john.h
Explorer
Explorer

I'm not certain of the PCI hard core restrictions in the Virtex-6 but there's always the option of going with soft IP.  You should be able to find a core that supports multiple PCI functions.  It may not be free, however.
0 Kudos
jlawley
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Virtex-6 does not have multi-function support.  I agree with John that there 3rd party IP providers of soft PCI Express cores that probably have multi-function capability (or have design services that can add it if desired), but they are not free.  Two such providers are Northwest Logic and PLDA.

You might also be interested in looking at the Virtex-6 Connectivity kit (http://www.xilinx.com/products/devkits/EK-V6-CONN-G.htm) for ideas on how to use a single function when mult-function is desired.  I know that the software developers for this kit indicated that multi-function would have made their implementation easier, but they were still able to complete the design with a single function.  The source code for the driver is part of the kit.

I hope this helps.

Jason

0 Kudos