Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

PC express device memory mapped II problem on Core i7

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

I have developed a Epic interface using a Exiling MALLS device and also have developed a Linux kernel mode device driver for this. This system works well with older Core 2 Duo architecture machines. However, recently, I have plugged this interface board into a latest Intel Core i7 machine and now I am not able to see the memory mapped II registers. I have the following implementation for the memory mapped II region:

1.  Region 5: Memory at fcfff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512] ---> io registers

2. I used ioremap call to map the memory into the virtual memory interface.

Region 0: Memory at fcef0000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=64K]     --> io memory

I am able to write something and read that back from io memory region. 

Has anyone experience this behavior before? 

I appreciate any help or pointers to progress with this issue.

Thanks and regards,

Sanka

Message Edited by cesanka on 06-17-2009 01:34 AM
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi Hermes,

I finally figured out the problem. It was a bug in my FPGA firmware code where I hadn't considered the difference in alignment of the two BARS. Once I have fixed this issue in the FW it works really well now. I believe the alignments on the BAR addresses varies among different architectures.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sanka

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Our system have the same problem.

We use ASUS P6TSE.

Best Regards, 

Hermes

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi Hermes,

I finally figured out the problem. It was a bug in my FPGA firmware code where I hadn't considered the difference in alignment of the two BARS. Once I have fixed this issue in the FW it works really well now. I believe the alignments on the BAR addresses varies among different architectures.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sanka

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Sanka,

This problem still confuses me. Could you describe more detail about your solution?

My design is basic on XAPP1052, Bus Master DMA Reference Design, and I add more control registers in the system and only use BAR0.

If using Core 2 Quad 9400, the registers' values are correct when their address are between 0x80 and 0xFF;

however, if using Core i7 920, the registers' values are almost wrong when their address are between 0x80 and 0xFF.

I look forward to your response.

Thank you,

Hermes

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am also using a Core i7, and cannot get the pio design to recognize the BARs. The configuration space stuff is all ok, but when I try and access a BAR, it says it cannot find any.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I am seeing the same problem.  I can read/write correctly to address from 0x00 to 0x7F but it fails in address range 0x80 to 0xFF.  This repeats every 0x100.  The problem occurs when the board is connected to a PCIe gen2 slot which is connected to the north bridge.  When I move the board to another slot (Gen 1 connected to South Bridge) I can read/write correctly for the whole address range 0x00 to 0xFF.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi wlhunterjr,

Maybe you could check "lower_addr" in UTS_64_TX_ENGINE.v.

Best regards,

Hermes

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

When in slot2 and I read/write to address 0x180 sucessfully the lower address in the completion packet is 0x60.  When I move the card to slot3 and read/write to address 0x180 fails the lower address is also 0x60.  I can see the completion packets in both cases and they look almost identical except for the completion id and requestor id.

Thanks

Bill

0 Kudos