UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor anam
Visitor

choosing Integrated Block for PCI Express or AXI Memory Mapped to PCI Express for DMAs to host, using VIVADO

Jump to solution

Hello all, 

I want to develop a new project with the KC705 board (Kintex-7) to send DMA packets through PCIe to the host PC, preferlly using VIVADO.  In the IP catalogue are available the following cores: 

• 7 Series Integrated Block for PCI Express (PCIe) Gen 2
  • AXI Memory Mapped to PCI Express 

Since it is not possible for me buying the DMA solutions from IP partners, I would like to have your opinion because I'm a litle lost.

In a previous project with a Virtex 4 I developed a DMA engine for the PCIe logic core using the ISE tool. I never used the EDK neither microblaze. So what do you advise to me: 

option 1 - adapt my old DMA engine to use it with the 7 Series Integrated Block,

option 2 -  use the AXI Memory Mapped to PCI Express, with CDMA core (I suppose).  It's beeing dificult for me understanding wich cores should I use to send DMA packets using the AXI PCI Express option.

Thank you a lot,

Ana  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Re: choosing Integrated Block for PCI Express or AXI Memory Mapped to PCI Express for DMAs to host, using VIVADO

Jump to solution
My take would be the first choice option. You have a working DMA solution and probably all the rest of the support structure which goes with it. If you switch to different DMA engine, you probably have to change other code too. It seems that just changing the pcie provider and adapting the bottom of your stack to the this new pcie provider is a simpler solution.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Re: choosing Integrated Block for PCI Express or AXI Memory Mapped to PCI Express for DMAs to host, using VIVADO

Jump to solution
My take would be the first choice option. You have a working DMA solution and probably all the rest of the support structure which goes with it. If you switch to different DMA engine, you probably have to change other code too. It seems that just changing the pcie provider and adapting the bottom of your stack to the this new pcie provider is a simpler solution.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Visitor anam
Visitor

Jump to solution

Tank you for your reply. Now I feel more confident to choose a way. 

Kind regards, 

Ana 

0 Kudos