Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Open Source USB programmable

Jump to solution

Is there any interest in a USB programmable Open Source Hardware programmbale board? The board would be ideal for a jtag programmable picoblaze. Having some difficulty getting the right people involved in this project.

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=yhjjddznzmx&thumb=5

Cy Drollinger

Electronic Realization L.L.C.

313 W. Mendenhall #5

Bozeman, MT 59715

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

drollinger wrote:

This is good stuff. This is good discussion causing some evolution in my desgin. I am trying to condense the necessary circuitry for the common component which I hope is FPGA. Trying to put together a platform that has the necessary circuitry to support the programmable logic not the ancillary circuitry to run the application specifics, audo, video, or etc. If there is a need for an 8 bit processor in a small project who wants to purchase the newest spartan 6 developement baord, a little dramatic I realize. Again it is about the necessary circuitry for support of the FPGA not specific to say a XC3S250E, but the circuitry is tested over and over therefore a new Virtex 6 is easier to get up to speed. Well those is me thoughts anyways.

Sincerely,

Cy  

I really think your missing my point.

You say, "I am trying to condense the necessary circuitry for the common component which I hope is FPGA." But the whole point of an FPGA is that its design is application-specific. Again: the logic you put in the FPGA to support an audio-processing application really has nothing in common with the logic for a video-processing application. Forget the converters for a moment: think about what sort of things you'd do to one or more audio signals, and then think about what you'd do with an audio stream. Truly there is no way to have common logic. And you must still address the very real issue of the external stuff.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Sorry! The attachment has nothing to do with the post!

Cy Drollinger

Electronic Realization L.L.C.

313 W. Mendenhall #5

Bozeman, MT 59715

PH: 406-586-5502

@: cy@montana.net

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hey, kcmman,

I aplogize for calling you out, but i'm desperate. any suggestions on direction would be great. I also realize you are being asked to comment sight unseen, but what do you think of the wide world of open source hardware and as it directly relates to the 8 bit picoblaze? Thank you for any response you might venture.

Cy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

drollinger wrote:

Hey, kcmman,

I aplogize for calling you out, but i'm desperate. any suggestions on direction would be great. I also realize you are being asked to comment sight unseen, but what do you think of the wide world of open source hardware and as it directly relates to the 8 bit picoblaze? Thank you for any response you might venture.

Cy

PicoBlaze is not open source.

Yes, the source is available, although it's written using Xilinx primitive instantiations and as such is not directly portable to other FPGA vendor devices.

And you haven't made clear exactly what you mean by "USB programmable." Does this mean that you have a dongle (like the Xilinx Platform USB thing) that's used to program the micro? Or do you mean that you want to use the micro to implement a JTAG dongle?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I'll agree with bassman59 here...

PicoBlaze is definitely not open source - it is covered by a Xilinx reference design license agreement on the download:

http://www.xilinx.com/ipcenter/doc/referencedesignlicense.pdf

This does not meet the definition I've frequently seen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Source_Definition

While I have no personal experience with it, I've seen PacoBlaze which is covered by a modified BSD license.

http://bleyer.org/pacoblaze/

bt

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

The USB programming describes the slave parallel configuartion of programming the Spartan3E. The nebulus carton bubble of the datasheets is a copy command from dos command window of the bin file onto the comX port. In response to Picoblaze being Open Sorce, Well it is not really about Picoblaze it is about the Open Source Hardware, which I have already designed, built, and partially tested. I am wondering if the Picoblaze community could use an affordable platform, OSH. Picoblaze needs no promoting, it is huge. But I wonder if there is a universal platform with which a beginner would be directed? Anyways, thank you for taking time to comment.

Sincerely, 

Cy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

drollinger wrote:

The USB programming describes the slave parallel configuartion of programming the Spartan3E. The nebulus carton bubble of the datasheets is a copy command from dos command window of the bin file onto the comX port. In response to Picoblaze being Open Sorce, Well it is not really about Picoblaze it is about the Open Source Hardware, which I have already designed, built, and partially tested. I am wondering if the Picoblaze community could use an affordable platform, OSH. Picoblaze needs no promoting, it is huge. But I wonder if there is a universal platform with which a beginner would be directed? Anyways, thank you for taking time to comment.

Sincerely, 

Cy

I don't really see the point of open-source hardware, as every FPGA design I've ever done has been built for a specific product/purpose. For example, an audio-processing design has pretty much nothing in common with a video-processing design, except for maybe external memory.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

This is good stuff. This is good discussion causing some evolution in my desgin. I am trying to condense the necessary circuitry for the common component which I hope is FPGA. Trying to put together a platform that has the necessary circuitry to support the programmable logic not the ancillary circuitry to run the application specifics, audo, video, or etc. If there is a need for an 8 bit processor in a small project who wants to purchase the newest spartan 6 developement baord, a little dramatic I realize. Again it is about the necessary circuitry for support of the FPGA not specific to say a XC3S250E, but the circuitry is tested over and over therefore a new Virtex 6 is easier to get up to speed. Well those is me thoughts anyways.

Sincerely,

Cy  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

drollinger wrote:

Sincerely,

Cy  

I really think your missing my point.

You say, "I am trying to condense the necessary circuitry for the common component which I hope is FPGA." But the whole point of an FPGA is that its design is application-specific. Again: the logic you put in the FPGA to support an audio-processing application really has nothing in common with the logic for a video-processing application. Forget the converters for a moment: think about what sort of things you'd do to one or more audio signals, and then think about what you'd do with an audio stream. Truly there is no way to have common logic. And you must still address the very real issue of the external stuff.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos