cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryandunn
Visitor
Visitor

AXI Quad SPI Read Transaction

I am using the AXI Quad SPI IP in standard mode as a master to control several slave peripherals. I have been able to execute write transactions successfully. Now I am trying to execute read transactions to perform a readback of the slave peripheral registers. To do this, the timing diagram below from the slave peripheral indicates the following steps are required:

1. Set the slave select line (CSB) low.
  2. Write an 8-bit value containing the R/W bit and the 7-bit slave address.
  3. Continue driving the clock (SCK) for 16 more cycles to clock out the register value.
  4. Set the slave select line (CSB) high.

image.png

I can't find anything in the documentation that describes how to do this. From simulation, I can see that reading from the data receive receiver (DRR) expects that the data is already available, and it does not enable the SPI clock to clock the data in.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
sarah77wicker
Contributor
Contributor

hi did you get any update on this issue?

I am looking to do the same using the axi-spi ip from xilinx. As for you, transmission of data is working well but reading part is where my issue is. driver/ip read directly what is present on the line but i need it to wait for at least 10 rising edge of spi_clock before.

I thought of 2 solutions:

- inserting timing constraint on my input line in the pl design (using similar constraint as specified in this support page :https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/59893.html)

- or modifing the driver becasue actually when i am transfering data, depending if i would like to read or write, i add a command control. So i need to read this one and in function of the value: it starts reading or writting.

I am currently working on the second option but it's prove to be quite some hassle i find. Any help or hint would be super

best regards,

0 Kudos
ryandunn
Visitor
Visitor

No, I have not yet been able to figure out how to initiate read transactions using this IP.

0 Kudos