Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

How to add peripheral without Wizard?

Jump to solution

Hello, how can i create and add my own peripheral without using the Create or Import Peripheral Wizard in my EDK system?

which steps to perform, and what to take in account?

thank u!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

migliorin wrote:
thanks for the link, but i know about it, and it doesnt tell how to create and add custom peripheral... it is also about the wizard.

and i need to know how t create and add own custom peripheral without Creat and Import Wizard!

(for example in case if i want to use custom IPIF interface)

Ahh, creating and importing your own peripheral without the Wizard ...

If you have already created a peripheral, you can use it as a skeleton. You can modify the number of slave registers as required. Then you can add your own "user_logic" section that implements your peripherals.

You also need to modify the .mpd and the .pao files appropriately.

Make sure the whole mess uses the Xilinx directory structure and versioning. Put your hardware into the pcores directory. when you open your project in the EDK, your core will show up in the IP Catalog under "Project Local pcores" and is ready to be included in your EDK project in the usual way.

-a

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello,

I think you can refer to the blog <http://virtex2pro.blogspot.com/2008/02/create-project-using-base-system.html>

This provides you with an example.

Regards,

Hem.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer
thanks for the link, but i know about it, and it doesnt tell how to create and add custom peripheral... it is also about the wizard.

and i need to know how t create and add own custom peripheral without Creat and Import Wizard!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

migliorin wrote:

Ahh, creating and importing your own peripheral without the Wizard ...

If you have already created a peripheral, you can use it as a skeleton. You can modify the number of slave registers as required. Then you can add your own "user_logic" section that implements your peripherals.

You also need to modify the .mpd and the .pao files appropriately.

Make sure the whole mess uses the Xilinx directory structure and versioning. Put your hardware into the pcores directory. when you open your project in the EDK, your core will show up in the IP Catalog under "Project Local pcores" and is ready to be included in your EDK project in the usual way.

-a

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

thank you, but what do u mean by "Put your hardware into the pcores directory" ? do you mean to put my custom IPIF VHDL code in that directory?

and if i do this, is it possible to use that custom IPIF interface for my own peripheral, and simultaneously use XILINX IPIF interface with other Xilinx Peripherals in my EDK system?

thank u in advance!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

migliorin wrote:

thank you, but what do u mean by "Put your hardware into the pcores directory" ? do you mean to put my custom IPIF VHDL code in that directory?

and if i do this, is it possible to use that custom IPIF interface for my own peripheral, and simultaneously use XILINX IPIF interface with other Xilinx Peripherals in my EDK system?

thank u in advance!

By "Put your hardware into the pcores directory," I mean exactly that (please, RTFM) ... Xilinx imposes a directory structure on your EDK as follows:

project\system.xmp

\system.mhs etc

\drivers

\pcores

And in pcores, you have to put your IP core as follows:

pcores\my_core_v1_00_a\data

pcores\my_core_v1_00_a\data\mycore_v2_1_0.mpd

pcores\my_core_v1_00_a\data\mycore_v2_1_0.pao

pcores\my_core_v1_00_a\hdl\vhdl\mycore.vhd

pcores\my_core_v1_00_a\hdl\vhdl\user_logic.vhd

And if you don't do it exactly right, the tools won't be able to find your core.

And yes, you can use the Xilinx IP cores at the same time that you use your custom core.

-a                            

0 Kudos