Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jagruti
Visitor
Visitor

How to use UART 0 along with UART 1?

Jump to solution
In my Zynq SDK program I am using user inputs as commands for operation. These user inputs are taken from UART. I also need to print program status on terminal. Both of these task goes parallel way. So, can I use UART 0 also. currently I am using UART 1 only. How  to do physical connection happens and what setting should be done in VIVADO if I plan to use UART 0 along with UART 1.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
muzaffer
Teacher
Teacher
Why do you think you need two uarts? uarts are full-duplex ie they have both receive & transmit pins and you can do both at the same time.
In case you actually do, just connect uart0 & uart1 to different MIO pins. You do realize that this will require a hardware change and not just Vivado configuration (if the connection is not already on your board that is)
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
muzaffer
Teacher
Teacher
Why do you think you need two uarts? uarts are full-duplex ie they have both receive & transmit pins and you can do both at the same time.
In case you actually do, just connect uart0 & uart1 to different MIO pins. You do realize that this will require a hardware change and not just Vivado configuration (if the connection is not already on your board that is)
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
jagruti
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks!

Yes, UART is full duplex but, I am using terminal to display my System status and to take user commands from UART also. So the problem was sharing of Terminal. Now it is solved anyway!

Thanks for reply

0 Kudos
ajcurtis84
Observer
Observer

Where you able to use both UARTs? Would you mind sharing how you solved this problem?

Thanks

0 Kudos
daniel_shieh
Visitor
Visitor

Hi, there. 

I used uart1 as a system console before. But I also need to use uart0 as a serial to commnicate with another board. The hardware(board connection) is fine.

The problem is that when I enable uart0 along with uart1, uboot can's printk anything on the screen. How should I do to enable two uarts at the same time. U-boot configuration is to use uart1 an a console. So I do not know where should I change in this situation. Could you give me some ideas? Thanks.

Daniel Shieh. 

0 Kudos