Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dileepkumu
Observer
Observer

PL DDR memory access for PS using DMA

Jump to solution

I am working on a project to access the PL DDR4 memory from the PS. I was able to connect the DDR4 MIG IP to the AXI interconnect and connect the AXI interconnect to the MPSOC. We are able to read and write from the PL DDR. I would like to add a DMA to speed up the data transfer between PL DDR and PS. How can I do it?

Thanks

Dileep

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
katsuki
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @dileepkumu 

Did you assign the address segment correctly? It is better to make a simple design and try it. For example,

bd.PNG

ad.PNG

In your block design, Port C0_DDR4_S_AXI_CTRL is the port for MiG Configuration, do you need to use this port? The following posts may also be helpful.
Memory Address Overlap Error with PL-Side DDR4

Thank you.
Don't forget to Reply, Kudo, and Accept as Solution.

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution. If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our Versal Blogs

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
patocarr
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @dileepkumu 

If using standalone libraries, you can use the PS ZynqMP DMA driver.

Thanks,

-Pat

Give kudos if helpful. Accept as solution if it solves your problem.
https://tuxengineering.com/blog

0 Kudos
dileepkumu
Observer
Observer

Hi @patocarr ,

Thanks for the reply. But I wanted to know how you connect the DMA IP in the block design.

Thanks

Dileep

0 Kudos
katsuki
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @dileepkumu 

The ZynqMP DMA proposed by @patocarr is a DMA in PS, so there is no need IP. It depends on your requirements, for an example of using DMA IP for PL, the following blog will be helpful.

AXI CDMA Linux user space example on Zynq UltraScale+ RFSoC

Thank you.

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution. If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our Versal Blogs
0 Kudos
dileepkumu
Observer
Observer

Hi @katsuki,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried to connect the CDMA IP according to the example you have mentioned but I ran into an issue when I tried to validate the design. I have attached the block design and the error messages.

The error message says that Slave segment </ddr4_0/C0_DDR4_MEMORY_MAP/C0_DDR4_ADDRESS_BLOCK> is mapped into master segment </zynq_ultra_ps_e_0/Data/SEG_ddr4_0_C0_DDR4_ADDRESS_BLOCK> but there is no path between them.

Thanks

Dileep

CDMA_DDR.JPG
CDMA_Error.JPG
0 Kudos
katsuki
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @dileepkumu 

Did you assign the address segment correctly? It is better to make a simple design and try it. For example,

bd.PNG

ad.PNG

In your block design, Port C0_DDR4_S_AXI_CTRL is the port for MiG Configuration, do you need to use this port? The following posts may also be helpful.
Memory Address Overlap Error with PL-Side DDR4

Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
katsuki
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @dileepkumu 

Is there any update? If you have any questions, you can post them.
If already issue has resolved, give Kudo, and mark Accept as Solution to close this post.

Thank you.
Don't forget to Reply, give Kudo, and mark Accept as Solution.

0 Kudos
vanmierlo
Mentor
Mentor

@dileepkumu 

What do you intend to do? Your current design enables the DMA engine to move the random power up values around in the DDR4 RAM. But nothing else can access it.

C0_DDR4_S_AXI_CTRL is only for configuring the MIG.

0 Kudos