cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ewalls
Visitor
Visitor

PL without programming PS

I'm used to "old school" FPGA design.....

I am currently attempting to use the Clocking Wizard to generate a clock for the external audio codec on the Zedboard.

Is it possible to run the PL side of things (i.e. have the CLK and Reset working) without programming the PS on the Zynq?  Do I need to program the PS for the Clocking Wizard in the PL to work?

Thanks.

1.png
3 Replies
dpaul24
Scholar
Scholar

@ewalls,

Is it possible to run the PL side of things (i.e. have the CLK and Reset working) without programming the PS on the Zynq? Do I need to program the PS for the Clocking Wizard in the PL to work?

Yes.

Just generate the PLL/MMCM with your desired settings and use it.

If the clock out of the PLL/MMCM is desired to be taken out of the FPGA, then use the ODDR primitive. Use clock capable FPGA pins for best results.

------------FPGA enthusiast------------
Consider giving "Kudos" if you like my answer. Please mark my post "Accept as solution" if my answer has solved your problem

0 Kudos

With Zynq you need the FSBL to load the PL if you plan to boot from flash. Otherwise, you can always configure the PL from Hardware manager. If there is no software, the PS will run nothing but its hardware will always be there. Is the good thing with hardware, mate.

0 Kudos
sebo
Voyager
Voyager

If you plan to use a PLL/MMCM in the PL, I'd use an external clock & reset as a source instead of those coming from the PS.

--Sebastien