cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manh_et2
Adventurer
Adventurer

Parrallel execution of IPs who connect to bus OPB???

Hello ACEs,
In my design, I have IP CAN and IP I2C who connect to the uController via bus OPB. I wonder if these 2 IPs runs parallelly or only sequently?
Thank you all.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
barriet
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The peripherals will be implemented in parallel and can run independently. Note that with a shared bus structure, only one of these peripherals will be able to be accessed at a given time by a given processor access.
I wouldn't expect this to be an issue for slower speed peripherals such as CAN and I2C.

Cheers,
bt
0 Kudos
manh_et2
Adventurer
Adventurer

I know that we can implement several MicroBlaze cores in one FPGA and connect them by using the bus FSL, but I wonder if we can add some bus OPBs respectively correspond to each MB core?
0 Kudos
barriet
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Here is an example with 2 MicroBlaze processors, each with its own OPB bus and peripheral set:
Note that they share a common clock and reset (I just did that for simplicity)
What is also possible but not implemented there was a pair of FSL bridges between the 2 MicroBlaze processors.

You may also find these useful:
http://www.xilinx.com/bvdocs/whitepapers/wp262.pdf (Designing Multiprocessor Systems in Platform Studio)
http://www.xilinx.com/bvdocs/appnotes/xapp996.pdf (Dual Processor Reference Design Suite)

Cheers

Message Edited by timpe on 10-30-2007 10:36 AM
0 Kudos
yadav.jvk
Observer
Observer

Hi,

I am using I2C controller in the Spartan3E Dev. Kit. I made the I2C clk and data as external outputs. The code statements after the I2C templates(ex:  XIic_Initialize, XIic_SetAddress) are not executed i.e it seems processed hanged. can anyone please help me int this regard.

0 Kudos
yadav.jvk
Observer
Observer

Hi,

If you have worked on I2C controller, can you help me!. 

When iam using I2C templates like  XIic_Initialize, XIic_SetAddress the statements after these templates are being executed?.

what could be the problem?
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you find a good way to get an I2C controller to work?  I am just starting out in FPGA design and so far all I know how to work are the initialize and selftest on a ML405.

Thanks,

Brian
0 Kudos
yadav.jvk
Observer
Observer

Hi Brian,

I left the I2C design module implemented in microblaze becuase we got a VHDL module for the same. BUt i can give a tip for the same. After you complete the design in EDK,
1) open a new project in ISE and add a copy of the system_stub.vhd, system.ucf of the EDK project to your ISE project and add the edk proect
    (*.xps).
2) Write a top wrapper module, which has instantiation of system_stub.vhd,
3) The I2C clk and data signals are "inout", hence we cann't probe them. so declare two local signals and  port map them to I2C clk and
     data.
4) Use a IOBuffer with i/p as I2C signal and o/p them to probe.

By this way you can check I2C signals. I hope it would help you.

Regards
JVK

0 Kudos