Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
talvlad29
Observer
Observer

TLAST signal control

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am using Axi dma in my design to transfer data from ADC throughout FIFO (Stream Data FIFO IP) to DDR(S2MM only). I disabled packet mode for DMA because the FIFO is filled up by ADC samples continuously. TLAST output signal (m_axis_tlast) from FIFO to DMA was enabled but FIFO did not generated it until FIFO s_axis_tlad was managed (I temporary set s_axis_tlast FIFO every 1024 samples). I used a baremetal application (cortexr5_0) for testing my design and I received DMA error interrupt every transaction until added FIFO s_axis_tlast control in my design. My question is how/why I have to use TLAST signal in non-packet DMA mode. TLAST control does not make sense for me if I use ADC data stream. 

Thank you,

Vladimir

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patocarr
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @talvlad29 

The AXI DMA supports the multi-channel feature and that's how the channels are separated: by a combination of TDEST and delimited with TLAST. This multi-channel feature may be obsoleted/removed at some point, because it was split into the new AXI MCDMA IP.

In the one channel case, TLAST can be used to signal the end of a buffer and to force the utilization of a new block descriptor.

Thanks,

-Pat

Give kudos if helpful. Accept as solution if it solves your problem.
https://tuxengineering.com/blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
patocarr
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @talvlad29 

The AXI DMA supports the multi-channel feature and that's how the channels are separated: by a combination of TDEST and delimited with TLAST. This multi-channel feature may be obsoleted/removed at some point, because it was split into the new AXI MCDMA IP.

In the one channel case, TLAST can be used to signal the end of a buffer and to force the utilization of a new block descriptor.

Thanks,

-Pat

Give kudos if helpful. Accept as solution if it solves your problem.
https://tuxengineering.com/blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
talvlad29
Observer
Observer

Thank you for clarification. 

0 Kudos