Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PMach1
Visitor
Visitor

Trouble with DRP Bridge

Hi, 

I'm having trouble with the DRP bridge (xapp1214). The issue that most concerns me is the fact that I cannot configure it to output a clock for each DRP channel, as it is needed to control a GTY transceiver.

Other issue is that the IP block is shown with a visual discrepancy as related to what is shown in the "xapp1214-drp-bridge.pdf" application note. Although I am reducing the number of DRP channels, it still appears the ones that should be disabled, as shown below.

DRP_setup.jpg

In the next picture it is possible to verify the absence of clock outputs:
DRP_detail.jpg

After downloading the IP block files, I unzipped them to my Documents folder and instantiated it from there, as shown below:

IP_select.jpg

What seems to be the issue causing all this?

Regards.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
anatoli

Hello @PMach1 ,

This xapp1214 was created and tested with Vivado 2014.2, so you are better of using that version (instead of 2020.2, as that is what i see in your case), and see the behaviour then. This wasn't tested with 2020.2, so there are chances that some issue could be seen with really old design (from 2014) in the latest tools. 

image.png

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal, take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our
Versal Blogs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
anatoli

Hi again @PMach1 ,

I've just tested with 2020.1 and all seems to be OK in my case:

image.png

Using 2020.2, I also not able to reproduce this behaviour:

image.png

Is there anything i need to do extra to be able to reproduce this behaviour? Please share the steps on how this can be reproduced at my end, and i can test this locally then.

However, so far all seems to be OK for me. Do you still seeing the same issue at your end? Perhaps this is a generic Vivado installation issue at your end? Did you have any issues in installing or running Vivado? Does the GUI opens OK for you, without any problems?

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Versal Blogs

0 Kudos
PMach1
Visitor
Visitor

Hi, anatoli. Thanks for your reply.

The steps I took were the ones explained in xapp1214.

I have had no problems installing Vivado and the GUI opens just fine. When installing, I deselected all devices except for the Ultrascale.

Below are the project settings regarding IP cores, which were default:

settings_IP_1.jpgsettings_IP_2.jpgsettings_IP_3.jpg

Do you have the same settings?

0 Kudos
anatoli

Hello @PMach1 ,

Apologies, as i didn't see any replies from you until now. 

Hint: You can mention someone in an issue description or comment by typing  "@" in front of their username (e.g. @anatoli ), and this person would then get a notification about a response or a reply addressed to that person. The reason why i'm mentioning this is because i didn't see your replies and only seen these when i was manually checking the posts, I've noticed your replies then.

In relation to the issue, yes, all are in the same defaults as in your case, however, i have noticed that the path in the Repository in your case, has space, that could potentially cause issues:

image.png

I would suggest to move this to a shorted path and have no spaces, e.g.

Here is what i have in my case:

image.png

Would you please give this a try and see if this leads to a better outcome?

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Versal Blogs

0 Kudos
PMach1
Visitor
Visitor

Hello @anatoli,

I will use that feature from now on.

I tried your suggestion, but the result is the same as you can see below. What else could be causing this problem?

DRP_Bridge_troubleshoot.jpg 

0 Kudos
anatoli

Hmmm, OK, that is strange indeed.

One more thing to check, i can see your project path also has a space in it:

image.png

Please move this to a shorter path (i.e. C:\test) and have no spaces in the path, and then test once again?

Also, is your machine's language is in English or any other language? 

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Versal Blogs

0 Kudos
PMach1
Visitor
Visitor

Hi, @anatoli ,

It did not work.

I did as you instructed. Created a directory named "test" in my "C:" path and copied the project into that locatio, as well as the files for the DRP Bridge IP:

Xilinx_troubleshoot_1.JPG

Next, I redefined the path for the IP repository:
Xilinx_troubleshoot_3.jpg

Inserting a new DRP Bridge in a new design shows the following:
Xilinx_troubleshoot_2.jpg

0 Kudos
anatoli

Hello @PMach1 , that is strange indeed. Perhaps this is the glitch with your Vivado 2020.2.2 installation? Did you have any issues in installing Vivado?

I don't have 2020.2 Upgrade 2 (i.e. 2020.2.2, and with 2020.2, all seems to be working for me). I will applied Update 2 now, and see if I can reproduce this behaviour.

Would you or your colleague have 2020.2 installed on another machine, that you can test this out? Perhaps this is just due to the the "corrupt" Vivado 2020.2 installation (only guessing here)? I am guessing fully uninstalling your current version of Vivado and then re-installing from scratch isn't an option for you?

Anyhow, let see what i get with 2020.2.2. However, would be also good for you to check on another machine and see if you can reproduce the same behaviour or not?

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Versal Blogs

0 Kudos
PMach1
Visitor
Visitor

Hi, @anatoli ,

I've been running into this issue for older versions (since 21.1, if I am not mistaken). I updated Vivado in hopes that it would solve it, but didn´t, unfortunately.

I have no access to another machine with a similar version installed. Also, I am reluctant to uninstall it and install back again since I am afraid I could lose the license (I am not sure if it is the case, though). Can you assure me that I might reuse the same license? 

0 Kudos
anatoli

Hello @PMach1 ,

Installation of Vivado is not related to Licensing. You can install/uninstall it, without any issues related to your license file. I'm a licensing expert, and if you decide to uninstall, and will see any licensing issues, i will definitely help you out with this, to get your license up and running.

However, if you have tried with other versions of Vivado on the same machine, and still seeing this issue, that leads me to believe this could be a machine specific issue.

Can you please generate Xinfo on this machine and share with me (you can email me at my user_nameATxilinx.com) and I will check and see if i can detect anything within your Xinfo.

Xinfo.txt can be generated by running the "report_environment –file xinfo.txt" command in Vivado TCL console.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Versal Blogs

0 Kudos
PMach1
Visitor
Visitor

Hi, @anatoli 

I ran the command, but I am having trouble in finding the xinfo.txt file. Where is it stored?

0 Kudos
anatoli

Hi @PMach1 ,

If you didn't specifically tell where to save this, then it will be in the location of your PWD. in the Tcl console, just run pwd, and this will tell you your working directory. That is where your Xinfo would be created and can be found from.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Versal Blogs

0 Kudos
PMach1
Visitor
Visitor

Hi, @anatoli 

I already sent it to you. Can you please confirm the reception?

0 Kudos
anatoli

I've just received this, thanks @PMach1 . Checking this now. Will let you know if i can spot anything 'unusual'. Thanks

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Versal Blogs

0 Kudos