cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

What does 'Enable V Bus Port' do in Vivado?

Jump to solution

Hello

When doing the I/O Configuration for the Zynq Ultrascale+ MPSOC:

For the USB interface, there is a checkbox 'Enable V Bus Port'. I have attached a screen capture.

I haven't been able to find what this port does or which MIO it is allocated to.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

It doesn't seem to be used on the ZCU102 evaluation board.

Thank you.

Gavin

Tags (2)
enable_v_bus.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

This is the response I got from Xilinx technical support:

By selecting the option called "Enable V Bus Port" USB3.0 in PCW settings, this will allocate EMIO signal. (emio_u3dsport_vbus_ctrl_usb3_0 & emio_u2dsport_vbus_ctrl_usb3_0) .

These signals can be used for DC voltage bus (VBUS) to control by using PL signals only in non-OTG mode.

I had a few questions about this response from Xilinx:

1) Are these signals outputs from the MPSOC to the external USB VBUS controller to turn it on/off? Or what are these signals used for?
2) Must these signals be used? Does the Linux MPSOC USB device driver assume that they exist?

And this was the answer:

1. Yes; both these signals are used only for controlling VBUS signal.
2. It is not mandatory, but it should be selected before USB device is used in application. You can use an external logic like ZCU102 board jumpers with external logic on PCB for selectin VBUS which depends on the USB mode i.e. Device or host. (in OTG these signal are not used)

I hope that helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Did you ever find an answer to this? I'm wondering the meaning of it myself.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

This is the response I got from Xilinx technical support:

By selecting the option called "Enable V Bus Port" USB3.0 in PCW settings, this will allocate EMIO signal. (emio_u3dsport_vbus_ctrl_usb3_0 & emio_u2dsport_vbus_ctrl_usb3_0) .

These signals can be used for DC voltage bus (VBUS) to control by using PL signals only in non-OTG mode.

I had a few questions about this response from Xilinx:

1) Are these signals outputs from the MPSOC to the external USB VBUS controller to turn it on/off? Or what are these signals used for?
2) Must these signals be used? Does the Linux MPSOC USB device driver assume that they exist?

And this was the answer:

1. Yes; both these signals are used only for controlling VBUS signal.
2. It is not mandatory, but it should be selected before USB device is used in application. You can use an external logic like ZCU102 board jumpers with external logic on PCB for selectin VBUS which depends on the USB mode i.e. Device or host. (in OTG these signal are not used)

I hope that helps.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thanks for the solid answer on this, you should mark your post as the answer if you can.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Is there a functional difference between the two signals?

0 Kudos