Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paul.mnt
Observer
Observer

ZC702 use board unique MAC address instead of setting it from u-boot

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I have read several posts related to the way one can set the MAC address for a ZC702 from u-boot, the device tree and Linux, however, I would like u-boot and Linux to get the MAC address from the physical device (which I guess should be the one reported on the Label on the board), rather than setting it at run time. How can I achieve that without having a different u-boot configuration for every single board?

Note that randomly generating the MAC address at compile time would not work, because I want to assign each board a static IP, based on the unique MAC address reported on their label.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
muzaffer
Teacher
Teacher

@paul.mnt 

take a look at this post which shows how to set a flash/eeprom on the 702 board so that you can read it later. It seems the label on the board is not stored anywhere which can be read electronically so you have to do it yourself.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
muzaffer
Teacher
Teacher

@paul.mnt 

take a look at this post which shows how to set a flash/eeprom on the 702 board so that you can read it later. It seems the label on the board is not stored anywhere which can be read electronically so you have to do it yourself.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

View solution in original post

paul.mnt
Observer
Observer

I understand, even if I would have never expected something like that from a commercial board, even if it's just meant for development.

Thank you for the information.

0 Kudos