cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar
Scholar

Zynq newbee questions - Soft peripherals added to hard cores?

Jump to solution

BACKGROUND:

I have a tremendous amount of electronics and embedded processing experience, but am new to Zynq. I'm also fairly new to Xilinx FPGAs in general, having only done some microblaze work on a Spartan-6. I want to start down the road of developing a new family of products, and I believe I want to base them on the Zynq.

QUESTION:

The Zynq appears to have 2 UARTs. I assume these can be used for RS-232. ("UART" means so many more things than it did 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago.) But what if I want to have 6 RS-232 UARTs? I could do this with the soft microblaze processor in the Spartan-6 I used. Can I create 4 more soft UARTs in the FPGA fabric, and "connect" them to one or both of the hard ARM cores in the Zynq? The caption under figure 1 at http://electronicdesign.com/fpgas/understanding-fpga-processor-interconnects seems to say so. Can someone please confirm the truth of this?

In general, then, can I create all number of different soft peripherals and add them to the hard ARM core(s)?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, processing system (PS) can use soft IP UART in PL; baremetal and Linux drivers included.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, processing system (PS) can use soft IP UART in PL; baremetal and Linux drivers included.

View solution in original post