cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
se17828
Adventurer
Adventurer

custom bootloader

Hi, I am working with the SP605 board and i have written a custom bootloader that reads the compact flash and searches for a files called IMAGE.BIN (FAT32 filesystem) and copies it to the RAM (starting at 0x88000000 and so on). What I have done is compile the code I whant to execute (taking into account that it will be placed on the RAM by using the linker script editor) and then convert the ELF to BIN with the mb-objcopy tool.

The bootloader actually finds the file and loads it correctly to the RAM (I have opened the .bin files created with mb-objcopy with a hex editor and the contents match the ones of the RAM at address 0x88000000) the problem I am having is that once this is done I don't really know how to jump to the first instruction 0x88000000. Should i reset all 32 registers and set PC to 0x88000000 and if so, how do i do that? I have already tried with the "goto" instruction and any other that i could think of. 

I have found some bootloaders intended mainly for loading linux images that do the following:

typedef void (*void_fn)(char *);
char *cmdline = "console=ttyS0";

LOAD PROGRAM TO MEMORY

kernel_start = (void_fn)XPAR_MCB_DDR3_MPMC_BASEADDR;
(*kernel_start)(cmdline);
cleanup_platform();

This does not work for me and I assume it is because it is though to be used with linux images. What should I do? when transforming the .elf to .bin i got some "insuficient space in device" which i solved by using a rather elaborate way of getting the image.bin image, those commands were:

./mb-objcopy -O binary -j .vectors.reset -j .vectors.sw_exception -j .vectors.interrupt -j .vectors.hw_exception IMAGE.elf IMAGE.BIN

./mb-objcopy -O binary -R .vectors.reset -R .vectors.sw_exception -R .vectors.interrupt -R .vectors.hw_exception IMAGE.elf IMAGE2.BIN

cat IMAGE.BIN >> IMAGE2.BIN

Please help me... It is very frustrating to have managed to read FAT32 files without any upper-level libraries and be stuck right at the end....

0 Kudos
3 Replies
se17828
Adventurer
Adventurer

Please someone help me... Is it really that hard to make MicroBlaze jump to an specific memory address??

0 Kudos
cayla
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

i use this macro from Petalinux FS-boot for my bootloader

#define GO(addr) { ((void(*)(void))(addr))();  }

GO(XPAR_SDR_SDRAM_CUSTOM_B_MPMC_BASEADDR);

For passing command line arguments an DTB, you could check to

http://www.monstr.eu/wiki/doku.php?id=fdt:fdt

Regards

Stéphane