cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virtex 7 and the axi inteface

Jump to solution

hi guys this is my first time on the forum and developing with xilinx. I was wondering with the zynq family some of the SOCs aren't as powerful as some of the single board computers i have used with quad core arm processors. I was wondering if i connect the axi interface of the virtex 7 fpga to a faster processor of my choice is that the same as how the architecture of  a Zynq fpga family basicly works thanks anthony

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

ok thanks for your help

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
u4223374
Advisor
Advisor

First, the Zynq UltraScale+ has a quad-core ARM processor. If that's what you need, it's going to be a whole lot easier than a two-chip solution.

I'm not sure you could actually implement something like what the Zynq offers. At the very least you'll be looking at hundreds of pins and PCB traces between the two devices - or thousands of pins to match the UltraScale+ chips. Some of the ports provide cache coherent access, which is only possible if the host processor supports it. All the HP AXI Slave ports have direct access to the CPU's memory, which again may not be supported.

I think it would make more sense to use the Virtex 7 as an "add-in card" using PCIe for communication. This is a well-established system; most of Xilinx's development boards can be plugged into a PCIe slot.

0 Kudos

ok thanks for your help

View solution in original post

0 Kudos