UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

AXI-DMA test that doesn't work.

Jump to solution

Greetings to everyone,

I am trying to gain experience with the AXI-DMA and for this purpose I am replicating step-by-step this tutorial (which is quite similirar to Xilinx 57562 example design):

from here:

http://www.fpgadeveloper.com/2017/10/using-axi-dma-in-vivado-reloaded.html

The only differences between my setup and the video tutorial is that I am using a Microzed 7020 board and Vivado 2018.1 Linux version, while the author is using a Microzed 7010 board and Vivado 2017.2 on Windows.

My setup also goes fine, I can generate the bitstream according to the steps shown in the video, I can launch the SDK, compile the software and run it, but the problem I experience is that I don 't see anything from the Zynq UART. It's like the program isn't running.

One strange thing I notice during application building in SDK, is that a warning is shown for the file xsdps.c at line 1272:

case CMD23:
		case ACMD23:
		case CMD24:
		case CMD25:
1272:-->		RetVal |= RESP_R1 | (u32)XSDPS_DAT_PRESENT_SEL_MASK;
		case ACMD41:
			RetVal |= RESP_R3;
		break;

It seems that a break is missing. However, inserting a break doesn't change anything.

I experience the same problem executing an Hello World application: nothing is printed out from the Zynq serial console.

I also tried to execute a memtest application, and yes, I can see its output results (that maybe is indicating that something is wrong, notice the FAILED result):

--Starting Memory Test Application--
NOTE: This application runs with D-Cache disabled.As a result, cacheline requests will not be generated
Testing memory region: ps7_ddr_0
    Memory Controller: ps7_ddr_0
         Base Address: 0x100000
                 Size: 0x3FF00000 bytes
          32-bit test: FAILED!
          16-bit test: FAILED!
           8-bit test: FAILED!
Testing memory region: ps7_ram_1
    Memory Controller: ps7_ram_1
         Base Address: 0xFFFF0000
                 Size: 0xFE00 bytes
          32-bit test: PASSED!
          16-bit test: PASSED!
           8-bit test: PASSED!
--Memory Test Application Complete--

I had the same problem testing the Xilinx 57562 example and also the previous tutorial of the video's author, which is here:

http://www.fpgadeveloper.com/2014/08/using-the-axi-dma-in-vivado.html

Could someone help me to understand what is going wrong and to find out the problem ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

simozz

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Visitor matt.zimm91
Visitor

Re: AXI-DMA test that doesn't work.

Jump to solution

Hello,

Just two ideas:

- from a "memtest" application, remove the source files, and add the source file of the "hello world" application. If it works, it will mean that it is a wrong configuration of the application project and not an issue with the code.

- if you launch the application from the debugger, does the execution get stuck somewhere?

Best regards

2 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor matt.zimm91
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hello,

Just two ideas:

- from a "memtest" application, remove the source files, and add the source file of the "hello world" application. If it works, it will mean that it is a wrong configuration of the application project and not an issue with the code.

- if you launch the application from the debugger, does the execution get stuck somewhere?

Best regards

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Greetings @matt.zimm91,

I can confirm that changing that running the Hello World source code into the Memory Tests application's folder, I can see that the Hello World is printed out.

However, that one is a great suggestion. If I replace the memtest source code with the axidma examples, for example this is the output of the execution of xaxidma_example_sg_intr.c (of course with Scatter Gather Engine enabled).

--- Entering main() --- 
Dump registers 40400030:
Control REG: 640B7002
Status REG: 000B0409
Cur BD REG: 7A000040
Tail BD REG: 0100FFC0

It does something so I can go on with my custom tests.

However I experienced the same issue with version 2017.2.This is quiet strange. I did not remember to have this kind of issue last year with other bare metal test.

I see that version 2018.3 is out and I will try it soon.

Regards,

simozz

0 Kudos