UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant svenssonjoel
Participant

AXI interconnect overloaded? Or deadlock? or ...

Hello, 

This is closely related to my previous questions in: 

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Zynq-All-Programmable-SoC/Correct-protocol-for-starting-and-restarting-over-and-over-again/td-p/703164

But I will try to be more precise in my description this time.  

Hardware tested on: Zynq 7020 (ZedBoard) and Zynq 7010 (Zynqberry) 

I have 4 IP blocks connected via a "axi_mem_intercon" to HP port 0. This is for the IP blocks memory accesses. 

The s_axi_control of these IP blocks are connected via an "processing_system7_0_axi_periph" to M_AXI_GP0 for programming

(starting, stopping, reading status). 

The IP Block is essentially loop that copies data from one place in memory to another.  It does nothing else. Just read a word then 

write a word, over and over again. 

Now as I start these IP blocks, repeatedly, from a loop running on one of the arm cores, there seems to be something that 

causes the IPs to be unresponsive. At this time reading the ctrl registers return 1 and this is a state that the IPs do not leave. 

So the program that starts the IPS is essentially 

while (work left to do) {

find idle IP to start

}

which should mean that all these 4 IPs would be running simultaneously and each of them issues "tonnes" of reads and writes 

over the men_interconnect. 

Now, I am very curious to see if someone knows what is happening here. I have found a tweak that seems to make the 

problem go away, but I am interested in knowing and understanding the causes. The "fix" I found was to 

change the slave and master interfaces on the "axi_mem_intercon" block to use 512 deep packet more FIFOs (32 deep did not resolve it) (tested on a ZedBoard). 

Any thoughts on this is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you very much and have a great day

0 Kudos