UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Best Method for AXI-Lite interface to PL-FIFO interface

I have a design with a Slave AXI-lite interface that needs to transfer data from a PL FIFO to the PS.

The FIFO has the usual CLOCK and EN inputs to handle talking to a processor interface.

When I used these FIFOs in the past, the ARM MCU was external and I could throw wait states (I hated them though) into the transaction while I went and got the data from the FIFO.

AXI is new for me -- and eventually I'd like to this core to AXI (full) but in the meantime, what's the best way to get the data out of the FIFO onto the AXI data bus.

links to Examples or Documentation would be fabulous. (and yes, I've looked at what I believe to be all the Xilinx docs covering the topic.)

(I see the examples for the AXI Slave, but they really only deal with a register that's defined/kept inside the slave module. The examples don't really cover dealing with external memory devices like a FIFO where clocking/enabling is involved.)

Thanks,

-Ben

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: Best Method for AXI-Lite interface to PL-FIFO interface

Have you looked at:

http://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/axi_fifo.html

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Best Method for AXI-Lite interface to PL-FIFO interface

Hi Austin,

Yes. I looked at the AXI IP FIFOs and they are massive overkill.

For one, this design already has a kernel driver and main application from previous non-ARM/AXI designs.

Additionally, the FIFOs in the design are unidirectional and only 14-15bits wide.

Would you have any suggestions for docs on getting a standard IP FIFO working inside an AXI slave?

Thanks,

-Ben
0 Kudos