UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Block Memory Generator in IP Packager

Jump to solution

Hello All,

Vivado 2015.2

Block Memory Generator v8.2

Zynq zc706 eval board

I used Vivado's block memory generator to create a native single port ram.  I'm trying to include the BRAM in an IP block I created that contains all my PL code.  I am able to simulate and synthesize ok, however when I implement the design the BRAM is optimized out.  Due to company restrictions I cannot upload my design, but I believe I may not be including the files in IP packager correctly.  In IP packager I have included the files for VHDL synthesis in this order:

ip/RAM_40x262144/blk_mem_gen_v8_2/hdl/blk_mem_gen_v8_2_vhsyn_rfs.vhd (on a side note can anyone explain what this file is?)

ip/RAM_40x262144/blk_mem_gen_v8_2/hdl/blk_mem_gen_v8_2.vhd

ip/RAM_40x262144/synth/RAM_40X262144.vhd

I also tried inluding the .xci file, but I had the same issue so I removed it.

In synthesis, I see the warning below, however I see the same warning in the example design so I'm not too concerned:

WARNING: [Synth 8-312] ignoring unsynthesizable construct: assertion statement [c:/Data/Project/sources_1/ip/RAM_40X262144/blk_mem_gen_v8_2/hdl/blk_mem_gen_v8_2_vhsyn_rfs.vhd:4793]

In implementation I see the Info:

[Opt 31-120] Instance Project_TOP/U0 (blk_mem_gen_v8_2_blk_mem_gen_v8_2) has been optimized to an empty box cell during sweep but it has constraints that prevent its removal. Empty box cells do not impact the implementation flow but they have no functional relevance.

Anyone know why Vivado is optimizing out my BRAM?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Block Memory Generator in IP Packager

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response Deepika.

Yes, I can see the rest of the packaged design is being implemented and yes I have connected the I/O to the RAM appropriately.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @zoppina

Did the Implementation go through in the IP packager project?

Have you properly connected the BMG IP inputs and outputs?

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response Deepika.

Yes, I can see the rest of the packaged design is being implemented and yes I have connected the I/O to the RAM appropriately.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

My apologies, but actually my douta was not connected properly.  The issue is resolved.  Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos