UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor mx_muc
Visitor

BootROM Header Search after soft reboot

Jump to solution

Hello!

I have a problem with the BootROM Header Search after a soft reboot (Petalinux: reboot).

I have bootloader images (FSBL+FPGA+U-Boot) stored at a QSPI-Flash. Linux Images are on a SD-Card / eMMC-Chip.

Let's say i start the system with a bootloader image stored at adress 0x800000. Consequently the BootROM Header of this image starts also at 0x800000. When i start the system my bootloader is found and executed. Afterwards U-Boot starts my linux.

When I flash now another bootloader image to adress 0x0 of the QSPI from my linux system, BootROM should find this new bootloader, because BootROM Header Search starts at 0x0 and increments with 32 KiB to find an image. When i reboot the system with a linux command, the system restarts, but the old bootloader is used.

When i power off the system and power it on again the new bootloader is used.

How can i reset the system from linux, that in this way the new bootloader also is used.

Best regards!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: BootROM Header Search after soft reboot

Jump to solution
What you are trying to do is multiboot. You should update multiboot register before soft reset so that when you reset the system, it gets booted from the address specified in Multiboot register. Please refer to http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Zynq-7000+AP+SoC+Boot+-+Multiboot+Tech+Tip for more details.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
What you are trying to do is multiboot. You should update multiboot register before soft reset so that when you reset the system, it gets booted from the address specified in Multiboot register. Please refer to http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Zynq-7000+AP+SoC+Boot+-+Multiboot+Tech+Tip for more details.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
Visitor mx_muc
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thank you!

That was exactly the solution.

To solve the problem run the following command before restarting:

petalinux:~# poke 0xF800702C 0x0

petalinux:~# shutdown -r now

0xF800702C  is the MULTIBOOT_ADDR

0 Kudos