cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

How to automate the process of IP integration in script ?

Hi, dear elites,

I'm not sure if the following question is appropriate to ask here. If not, please help to advise the right place. Thanks.

We designed an AXI-lite only interface block IP. Then, we instantiated a processing subsystem IP and then integrated the AXI-lite IP with the processing substem IP by Run Connection Automation in the GUI. The integration is done.

However, it may expect to have some run changes of the internal logic of the design in the near future but the block interface keeps unchanged in AXI-lite interface. In this context, it needs to have IP update only instead of the change of the whole integration. 

As you can observe from the use case, I don't like to do the repetitive integration job manually in the GUI again. Thus, I'm searching if there have any suggested method to automate the process in the script. I'm thinking if the following use cases are feasible in Xilinx Vivado. 

Proposal 1: In the first time, I can import the IP and processing subsystem in the IP integrator and then run the automation connection in the GUI. Is it possible to save the whole integrated project as tcl script and then I can use the tcl script to bring up the integrated design and then use another tcl command to update the designed AXI-lite IP block as new integration design for further synthesis, place and route ?

Proposal 2: Compared to proposal 1, is it possible to record the integration process in IP integrator such as import processing subsystem, import the AXI-lite IP and run connection automation as a tcl script ? In this regard, I can reuse the tcl script for integration in batch mode instead of manual execution in GUI every time.

I appreciate for whatever your comments, examples, references and suggestions for the question.

All the best,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: How to automate the process of IP integration in script ?

Hi @nanson ,

You can save your BD design with tcl command and source this tcl in future. to write the tcl file for your BD, please use write bd tcl command. refer ug835 for tcl command use cases.

I will recommend another away, if you have any modifications in internal logic of custom IP, then do the modification and save the IP as revision 2.0. after this just go to vivado IPI and go to Reports then click on report IP Status. This will show you any update or new version of IPs are available for your current design. It will also report your custom IP if it is modified. select your custom IP and update it to new version. This is the easiest way to update the IPs.

Best Regards,

Srikanth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: How to automate the process of IP integration in script ?

@savula 

Thanks for the information.

For the suggested way you mentioned, is it possible to have script flow instead of manipulating in the GUI ?

0 Kudos