UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor chrisab508
Visitor

ML605 XPS TFT Controller Reference Design Problems - Processor Stalled at Memory Access

Jump to solution

Hi Everyone,

I'm having a problem which I've spent several days on now, and I can't seem to fix it.  I need a very basic framework to control the DVI port on the ML605 development board.  I ran through the reference design (ml605_bist_rdf0017_13p1) and was able to get information to display on my monitor, and write to the video memory (via XMD mwr commands) and see pixels changing, which was great!  One thing to note is that when this reference design starts up on the ML605, there is a lot of garbage displayed to the screen, as it is reading from the DDR memory at initialization which has nonsense values written in it.

The above reference design is in EDK 13.1, and I need to be running in 14.7; further, the reference design has many peripherals which I don't care about.  For these two reasons, I decided to start from scratch in 14.7 and create my own design with a PLB microblaze, DDR3 memory (MPMC), and XPS TFT controller (just the basics to get the monitor interfacing up and running).  I tried as closely as I could to follow the reference design and all the appropriate connections & clocking.  I am 99.99% positive I made all the same connections and followed the reference design as closely as I could.  I'm able to meet timing and generate a bitfile, however, when I load the bitfile onto the ML605 several things happen:

1. I don't get garbage displayed to the screen (which seems to indicate to me that it isn't reading from the DDR video memory properly)
  2. If I try to write something to the video memory addres (via XMD mwr command), nothing happens on the screen (though I don't get an XMD error)
  3. If I try to read from the video memory (via XMD mrd command) I get the following message:

ERROR: Cannot Read from target
Processor is stalled at memory access.

I am initializing the microblaze with a bootloop ELF (as far as I know), when I program the FPGA from SDK.

I'm wondering if someone can help me out with this?  I have attached the UCF & mhs files from both the reference design (ml605_bist_rdf0017_13p1.ucf & .mhs)  as well as my base design (dvi_plb.ucf & .mhs).

I would appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Thank you in advance,

Chris

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor chrisab508
Visitor

Re: ML605 XPS TFT Controller Reference Design Problems - Processor Stalled at Memory Access

Jump to solution

Well.  As crazy as it sounds, I tried pulling the RAM out of the board and re-inserting it into the slot, and......it all works now.  I think the memory was not seated properly!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Visitor chrisab508
Visitor

Re: ML605 XPS TFT Controller Reference Design Problems - Processor Stalled at Memory Access

Jump to solution

Well.  As crazy as it sounds, I tried pulling the RAM out of the board and re-inserting it into the slot, and......it all works now.  I think the memory was not seated properly!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi,

What does this mean? "I tried pulling the RAM out of the board and re-inserting it into the slot,"

Regards

Praveen 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos