cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

running the AXI UART Lite irq examples on Zynq (AXI intc vs PS gic)

Using Zynq with Vivado 2015.4 with this basic bd :

uart lite irq ps.jpg

I put an external loopback on the uart tx/rx lines, running the uartlite polled example works fine, so hardware is ok.

up next was trying to run  'xuartlite_intr_example' , however after importing these examples, SDK complained about a missing 'intc', which is the driver of an AXI Interrupt controller. 

So I tried to add this 'intc' controller as follows :

axi uart lite irq.jpg

I could not directly connect the 'interrupt' interface of the AXI interrupt controller to IRQ_F2P of the PS, so I connected the 'irq' output directly. 

After updating the bitstream and sending the new .hdf to SDK, the example no longer complained about a missing 'intc'

Now when running the example, I can see the tx/rx data appear on the external loopback wire with a scope, however I get no rx nor tx interrupts (I put a breakpoint in both). Also the example is waiting for the data if I break the PS :

/*
	 * Wait for the entire buffer to be received, letting the interrupt
	 * processing work in the background, this function may get locked
	 * up in this loop if the interrupts are not working correctly.
	 */
	while ((TotalReceivedCount != TEST_BUFFER_SIZE) ||
		(TotalSentCount != TEST_BUFFER_SIZE)) {
	}

The example doesn't seem to initialize the Zynq GIC at all. Then I found this thread, so looks like this example code using an intc is a microblaze only example? 

So if i want to use axi_uartlite on Zynq, I should probably connect the uartlite irq output directly (or through a concat) with the IRQ_F2P input of the PS, without using 'intc' ? Is there an example for this?

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

Re: running the AXI UART Lite irq examples on Zynq (AXI intc vs PS gic)

ok - think I found the answer ... I should have tried 'xuartlite_intr_tapp_example.c' instead, looks like this one has been updated for use with Zynq : 

* 2.01a ssb 01/11/01 Updated the example to be used with the SCUGIC in Zynq.

It would have been great if the readme.txt file contained some short guidance on both projects, that xuartlite_intr_example.c is for use only with microblaze / intc controller. The 2nd example seems to autodectect if there is an INTC present or not ... 

so I took back the first bd (without the AXI interrupt controller)

but now, when trying to build I get this error :

uart example.jpg

"XPAR_INTC_0_UARTLITE_0_VEC_ID" is undeclared.

checking xparametrs.h showed me I needed to change this into : 

#ifndef TESTAPP_GEN
#define UARTLITE_DEVICE_ID	  XPAR_UARTLITE_0_DEVICE_ID
#define UARTLITE_IRPT_INTR	  XPAR_FABRIC_AXI_UARTLITE_0_INTERRUPT_INTR  // XPAR_INTC_0_UARTLITE_0_VEC_ID

#ifdef XPAR_INTC_0_DEVICE_ID
#define INTC_DEVICE_ID		XPAR_INTC_0_DEVICE_ID
#else
#define INTC_DEVICE_ID		XPAR_SCUGIC_SINGLE_DEVICE_ID
#endif /* XPAR_INTC_0_DEVICE_ID */
#endif /* TESTAPP_GEN */

after this modification, the example worked correctly. However, the example is less complete than 'xuartlite_intr_example', it does not verify the loopbacked data.

1 question remains : is there any practical use of the AXI interrupt controller in Zynq?

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

there is no need to use the AXI interrupt controller in Zynq sice there is a GIC in the PS of ZYNQ.  the GIC work as the "interrupt controller". The example is used in the application that not zynq such as SP6 serise. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello, I am also trying this example, but there have been some errors, can you add a contact to facilitate communication?Here are some of the errors I made.(My QQ:2273667502)

/home/lyy/work/linux_app/uart_test/Debug/../src/helloworld.c:182:对‘xil_printf’未定义的引用
/home/lyy/work/linux_app/uart_test/Debug/../src/helloworld.c:186:对‘xil_printf’未定义的引用
./src/helloworld.o:在函数‘UartLiteIntrExample’中:
/home/lyy/work/linux_app/uart_test/Debug/../src/helloworld.c:233:对‘XUartLite_Initialize’未定义的引用
/home/lyy/work/linux_app/uart_test/Debug/../src/helloworld.c:241:对‘XUartLite_SelfTest’未定义的引用
/home/lyy/work/linux_app/uart_test/Debug/../src/helloworld.c:263:对‘XUartLite_SetSendHandler’未定义的引用
/home/lyy/work/linux_app/uart_test/Debug/../src/helloworld.c:265:对‘XUartLite_SetRecvHandler’未定义的引用
/home/lyy/work/linux_app/uart_test/Debug/../src/helloworld.c:272:对‘XUartLite_EnableInterrupt’未定义的引用
/home/lyy/work/linux_app/uart_test/Debug/../src/helloworld.c:284:对‘XUartLite_Send’未定义的引用
./src/helloworld.o:在函数‘UartLiteSetupIntrSystem’中:
/home/lyy/work/linux_app/uart_test/Debug/../src/helloworld.c:429:对‘XScuGic_LookupConfig’未定义的引用
/home/lyy/work/linux_app/uart_test/Debug/../src/helloworld.c:434:对‘XScuGic_CfgInitialize’未定义的引用
/home/lyy/work/linux_app/uart_test/Debug/../src/helloworld.c:441:对‘XScuGic_SetPriorityTriggerType’未定义的引用
/home/lyy/work/linux_app/uart_test/Debug/../src/helloworld.c:448:对‘XUartLite_InterruptHandler’未定义的引用
/home/lyy/work/linux_app/uart_test/Debug/../src/helloworld.c:448:对‘XUartLite_InterruptHandler’未定义的引用
makefile:36: recipe for target 'uart_test.elf' failed
/home/lyy/work/linux_app/uart_test/Debug/../src/helloworld.c:448:对‘XScuGic_Connect’未定义的引用
/home/lyy/work/linux_app/uart_test/Debug/../src/helloworld.c:458:对‘XScuGic_Enable’未定义的引用
/home/lyy/work/linux_app/uart_test/Debug/../src/helloworld.c:468:对‘Xil_ExceptionInit’未定义的引用
/home/lyy/work/linux_app/uart_test/Debug/../src/helloworld.c:473:对‘XScuGic_InterruptHandler’未定义的引用
/home/lyy/work/linux_app/uart_test/Debug/../src/helloworld.c:473:对‘XScuGic_InterruptHandler’未定义的引用
/home/lyy/work/linux_app/uart_test/Debug/../src/helloworld.c:473:对‘Xil_ExceptionRegisterHandler’未定义的引用
./src/helloworld.o:在函数‘UartLiteDisableIntrSystem’中:
/home/lyy/work/linux_app/uart_test/Debug/../src/helloworld.c:512:对‘XScuGic_Disable’未定义的引用
/home/lyy/work/linux_app/uart_test/Debug/../src/helloworld.c:513:对‘XScuGic_Disconnect’未定义的引用
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [uart_test.elf] Error 1

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @zengzxxilinx ,

Your query is not relevant to the previous posts.

Please create a new post and send it through this board.

Regards

Praveen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello, can you answer my question?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

@chaorenbuhuifei I'm afraid I cannot help you, your post is partially in chinese, which is ... chinese for me :-) Sorry for that. Also your question seems to be Linux related (?), my post was about a bare metal application. I think your best bet is to create a new post

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yes, my application is on Linux. I have found several examples on the wiki, such as: xuartlite_intr_example.c/xuartlite_intr_tpp_example.c/xuartlite_low_level_example.c/. Are these examples for bare metal? Isn't it an application that can be used for Linux?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

these examples are indeed for bare metal. In linux code you'll see header files of the linux system included. 

your example is located here: 

https://github.com/Xilinx/embeddedsw/blob/master/XilinxProcessorIPLib/drivers/uartlite/examples/xuartlite_intr_example.c

if you move up to 'embeddedsw', you'll see :

https://github.com/Xilinx/embeddedsw

the readme.txt says 'embeddedsw.git - repo for standalone software'

I'm not a linux programmer, so I don't know where you should start for a UART example on linux. I think it's best you search the forum for 'linux' and 'uart', if you find an answer/link, please post it here so people can jump to that link too.

0 Kudos