cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Compile error using profile_kernel

I am trying to compile a kernel with the --profile_kernel data:all:all:all flag but it fails. If I remove this flag the program compiles and it runs fine. But I need to profile the kernel in order to understand how to improve its performance. I am using these two commands to compile:

xocc -c -t hw --platform zed -g src/aes.cl
xocc -t hw -l --profile_kernel data:all:all:all --sys_config ocl a.xo -f zed

As you can see I have one kernel and the platform used is the ZedBoard. The kernel is using OpenCL, I have read the optimization guide and I haven't found anything similar to the error I am getting:

#-----------------------------------------------------------
# Vivado v2018.1 (64-bit)
# SW Build 2188600 on Wed Apr  4 18:39:19 MDT 2018
# IP Build 2185939 on Wed Apr  4 20:55:05 MDT 2018
# Start of session at: Wed May 30 17:34:40 2018
# Process ID: 3276
# Current directory: ~/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/ocl/getting_started/aes_ocl/_xocc_link_a_bin.dir/_vpl/ipi
# Command line: vivado -mode batch -notrace -source ~/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/ocl/getting_started/aes_ocl/_xocc_link_a_bin.dir/_vpl/ipi/ipirun.tcl -messageDb ~/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/ocl/getting_started/aes_ocl/_xocc_link_a_bin.dir/_vpl/ipi/vivado.pb
# Log file: ~/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/ocl/getting_started/aes_ocl/_xocc_link_a_bin.dir/_vpl/ipi/vivado.log
# Journal file: ~/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/ocl/getting_started/aes_ocl/_xocc_link_a_bin.dir/_vpl/ipi/vivado.jou
#-----------------------------------------------------------
source ~/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/ocl/getting_started/aes_ocl/_xocc_link_a_bin.dir/_vpl/ipi/ipirun.tcl -notrace
Creating Vivado project and starting FPGA synthesis.
--- DEBUG: source ./.local_dsa/prj/rebuild.tcl to create syn project
INFO: [IP_Flow 19-234] Refreshing IP repositories
INFO: [IP_Flow 19-1704] No user IP repositories specified
INFO: [IP_Flow 19-2313] Loaded Vivado IP repository '/opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2018.1/data/ip'.
INFO: Project created:syn
--- DEBUG: setting ip_repo_paths: ~/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/ocl/getting_started/aes_ocl/_xocc_link_a_bin.dir/impl/kernels/ip_repo/xilinx_com_hls_aes_1_0 /opt/Xilinx/SDx/2018.1/data/cache/xilinx ./.local_dsa/ipcache /opt/Xilinx/SDx/2018.1/data/ip/xilinx
--- DEBUG: update_ip_catalog
INFO: [IP_Flow 19-234] Refreshing IP repositories
INFO: [IP_Flow 19-1700] Loaded user IP repository '~/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/ocl/getting_started/aes_ocl/_xocc_link_a_bin.dir/impl/kernels/ip_repo/xilinx_com_hls_aes_1_0'.
INFO: [IP_Flow 19-1700] Loaded user IP repository '/opt/Xilinx/SDx/2018.1/data/cache/xilinx'.
INFO: [IP_Flow 19-1700] Loaded user IP repository '~/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/ocl/getting_started/aes_ocl/_xocc_link_a_bin.dir/_vpl/ipi/.local_dsa/ipcache'.
INFO: [IP_Flow 19-1700] Loaded user IP repository '/opt/Xilinx/SDx/2018.1/data/ip/xilinx'.
--- DEBUG: open_bd_design -auto_upgrade [get_files zed.bd]
Adding cell -- xilinx.com:ip:processing_system7:5.5 - ps7
Adding cell -- xilinx.com:ip:xlconcat:2.1 - xlconcat_0
Adding cell -- xilinx.com:ip:clk_wiz:6.0 - clk_wiz_0
Adding cell -- xilinx.com:ip:proc_sys_reset:5.0 - proc_sys_reset_0
Adding cell -- xilinx.com:ip:proc_sys_reset:5.0 - proc_sys_reset_1
Adding cell -- xilinx.com:ip:proc_sys_reset:5.0 - proc_sys_reset_2
Adding cell -- xilinx.com:ip:proc_sys_reset:5.0 - proc_sys_reset_3
Successfully read diagram <zed> from BD file <~/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/ocl/getting_started/aes_ocl/_xocc_link_a_bin.dir/_vpl/ipi/syn/syn.srcs/sources_1/bd/zed/zed.bd>
--- DEBUG: source ./dr.bd.tcl
WARNING: [Coretcl 2-1042] No IP was identified for upgrade.
WARNING: [IP_Flow 19-3374] An attempt to modify the value of disabled parameter 'STRATEGY' from '0' to '2' has been ignored for IP 'axi_ic_ps7_M_AXI_GP0'
WARNING: [IP_Flow 19-3374] An attempt to modify the value of disabled parameter 'STRATEGY' from '0' to '2' has been ignored for IP 'axi_ic_ps7_S_AXI_ACP'
WARNING: [BD 41-1306] The connection to interface pin /axi_ic_ps7_S_AXI_ACP/S00_AXI_arcache is being overridden by the user. This pin will not be connected as a part of interface connection S00_AXI
WARNING: [BD 41-1306] The connection to interface pin /axi_ic_ps7_S_AXI_ACP/S00_AXI_awcache is being overridden by the user. This pin will not be connected as a part of interface connection S00_AXI
--- DEBUG: save_bd_design
Wrote  : <~/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/ocl/getting_started/aes_ocl/_xocc_link_a_bin.dir/_vpl/ipi/syn/syn.srcs/sources_1/bd/zed/zed.bd>
--- DEBUG: inserting profiling cores
--- DEBUG: Adding profiling of host and kernel masters...
--- DEBUG first CU slot : /aes_1
--- DEBUG Axilite CU bd net : /axi_ic_ps7_M_AXI_GP0_M00_AXI
--- DEBUG Axilite CU Interconnect : /axi_ic_ps7_M_AXI_GP0
--- WARNING: Unable to find host master to profile...
--- DEBUG: inserting SystemILA debug cores
--- DEBUG: insert_chipscope_debug: No chipscope_debugs dict name - nothing to insert
--- DEBUG: assign_bd_address
</ps7/S_AXI_ACP/ACP_DDR_LOWOCM> is being mapped into </aes_1/Data_m_axi_gmem> at <0x00000000 [ 512M ]>
</ps7/S_AXI_ACP/ACP_QSPI_LINEAR> is being mapped into </aes_1/Data_m_axi_gmem> at <0xFC000000 [ 16M ]>
</ps7/S_AXI_ACP/ACP_IOP> is being mapped into </aes_1/Data_m_axi_gmem> at <0xE0000000 [ 4M ]>
INFO: [BD 41-1051] The usage <register> of peripheral </ps7/S_AXI_ACP/ACP_IOP> does not match the usage <memory> of master </aes_1/Data_m_axi_gmem> and will be excluded using sparse connectivity from its address space. Use the include_bd_addr_seg command to override this precaution and make this peripheral visible within this masters address space.
Excluding </ps7/S_AXI_ACP/ACP_IOP> from </aes_1/Data_m_axi_gmem>
</ps7/S_AXI_ACP/ACP_M_AXI_GP0> is being mapped into </aes_1/Data_m_axi_gmem> at <0x40000000 [ 1G ]>
INFO: [BD 41-1051] The usage <register> of peripheral </ps7/S_AXI_ACP/ACP_M_AXI_GP0> does not match the usage <memory> of master </aes_1/Data_m_axi_gmem> and will be excluded using sparse connectivity from its address space. Use the include_bd_addr_seg command to override this precaution and make this peripheral visible within this masters address space.
Excluding </ps7/S_AXI_ACP/ACP_M_AXI_GP0> from </aes_1/Data_m_axi_gmem>
--- DEBUG: validate_bd_design -force
ERROR: [BD 41-1811] The interconnect </axi_ic_ps7_M_AXI_GP0> is missing a valid master Interface connection
ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'validate_bd_design' failed due to earlier errors.

while executing
"validate_bd_design -force"
    (procedure "ocl_util::init_ocl_project_unip" line 212)
    invoked from within
"ocl_util::init_ocl_project_unip $dsa_info $config_info $clk_info $debug_profile_info"
    (file "~/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/ocl/getting_started/aes_ocl/_xocc_link_a_bin.dir/_vpl/ipi/ipirun.tcl" line 168)
INFO: [Common 17-206] Exiting Vivado at Wed May 30 17:34:57 2018...

I am new to FPGA development, so it might be something obvious...

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Compile error using profile_kernel

Hi mompes,

I think it would be recommended to not try and use an openCL kernel with sdsoc such as with a ZED. You should try sticking with the GUI flow on just taking a function from your design and choosing it to be pushed onto Hardware. The reason is that you will take a hit on the added overhead for the openCL memory setup.

xocc and the --profile_kernel really makes the most sense for the SDAccel flow moreso then the SDSOC flow. I suspect the issue you are running into is that the zed platform isn't setup like a SDAccel DSA for the profilinf run.

If at first you don't succeed, try redefining success?