UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor davnze
Visitor

SDAccel RTL Kernel 2 clocks unable to link secondary clocks

Hi,

I'm trying to use SDAccel 2017.1 with my own RTL Kernel.

I used the RTL Kernel Wizard as starting point for the interface generation.

I created all the needed glue logic for transferring data from the FIFO to my RTL Kernel.

I know that my Kernel with previous design(not with SDx) worked up to 200MHz which is below the required 250MHz for the AXI4 interface. So I decided to use two clocks for an asynchronous design and modified accordingly to make the stuffs working in hardware.

My problem is that XOCC didn't find how to link the ap_clk_2 to other wires/clocks.

I checked the Vivado project it created and my IP has two disconnected ports (ap_clk_2 and ap_rst_n_2).

I checked also the SDAccel Repo examples with the example of RTL with two clocks but I didn't really understand where and if exists this option or how the tool links these two ports.

I'm trying to figure out how could I link them automatically, if there are some specific options, if I miss something.

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: SDAccel RTL Kernel 2 clocks unable to link secondary clocks

Hi davnze?

Can you link the error message xocc gives? And can you explain more about how the clocking is setup? There is a limit on the number of clocks for a kernel in SDAccel.

-Evan

If at first you don't succeed, try redefining success?
0 Kudos
Visitor davnze
Visitor

Thank you for the response

ERROR: [XOCC 41-758] The following clock pins are not connected to a valid clock source:
/TiReX_v2_1/ap_clk_2

This is the error XOCC returns to me.

I followed the guide of SDAccel and setup the RTL Kernel Wizard to use 2 clocks in my design: 1 standard for the AXI interface and one for my custom Kernel that I know should run at a lower clock frequency (i.e. 130 vs 250 of the AXI).

I used the example design the RTL Wizard outputs. I set the parameter of the number of clocks to 2 which should enable the usage of the async fifo needed for my clock domain.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Please refer Xilinx github example "rtl_vadd_2clks":

https://github.com/Xilinx/SDAccel_Examples/tree/master/getting_started/rtl_kernel/rtl_vadd_2clks

package_kernel.tcl demonstrated how to associate a clock with its bus interfaces as follows:

ipx::associate_bus_interfaces -busif m_axi_gmem -clock ap_clk [ipx::current_core]
ipx::associate_bus_interfaces -busif s_axi_control -clock ap_clk [ipx::current_core]
ipx::infer_bus_interface ap_clk_2 xilinx.com:signal:clock_rtl:1.0 [ipx::current_core]
ipx::infer_bus_interface ap_rst_n_2 xilinx.com:signal:reset_rtl:1.0 [ipx::current_core]

The github example associated the 1st clock "ap_clk" with the  bus interfaces "s_axi_control" and "m_axi_gmem", and used the 2nd clock "ap_clk_2" to control the kernel, and used following xocc option to control the kernel frequencies:

xocc --kernel_frequency "0:150|1:250"

where "0:150" sets  "ap_clk" as 150 MHz, and "1:250" sets "ap_clk_2" as 250 MHz.

For your case, make sure the 2nd clock "ap_clk_2" is used (wired) in your RTL kernel design, use "xocc --kernel_frequency "0:250|1:130" assuming you want "ap_clk" as 250 MHz, and "ap_clk_2" as 130 MHz. 

Please note, 2 kernel clock names have to be named as "ap_clk" and "ap_clk_2" respectively in kernel's top module.

Visitor morlior.deep
Visitor

Trying to run xocc with --kernel_frequency 0:300|1:500 ....

returns:

1:500 command not found.

The full xocc command I'm trying to run:

/tools/Xilinx_new/SDx/2019.1/bin/xocc -t hw --platform xilinx_u250_xdma_201830_1 --kernel_frequency 0:300|1:500 --save-temps -l --nk sdx_kernel_wizard_1:1:sdx_kernel_wizard_1_1 --messageDb binary_container_1.mdb --sp sdx_kernel_wizard_1_1.m00_axi:DDR[0] --sp sdx_kernel_wizard_1_1.m01_axi:DDR[1] --sp sdx_kernel_wizard_1_1.m02_axi:DDR[2] --sp sdx_kernel_wizard_1_1.m03_axi:DDR[3] --xp misc:solution_name=link --temp_dir binary_container_1 --report_dir binary_container_1/reports --log_dir binary_container_1/logs --remote_ip_cache /home/moshe/sdx_2019_workspace/ip_cache -o"binary_container_1.xclbin" /tools/programs/sdx/sdx_2019_workspace/try_2019_t1/vivado_rtl_kernel/sdx_kernel_wizard_1_ex/sdx_imports/sdx_kernel_wizard_1.xo

I've chekced that the package_kernel.tcl is updated as shown in the comment above, ap_clk and ap_clk_2..

What can I do? 

What may I miss?

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

It should be:  --kernel_frequency "0:300|1:500"

You need the quotes.

Visitor morlior.deep
Visitor

Thank you so much!