cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhegeman
Observer
Observer

GTH/GTY LOC constraints -- package_pin vs. channel?

Jump to solution

Dear all,

When creating an IBERT core, the corresponding constraints files will pin down the GTH/GTY using LOC constraints on the channel level. For example:

set_property LOC GTYE4_CHANNEL_X0Y1 [get_cells QUAD[0].u_q/CH[1].u_ch/u_gtye4_channel]

I'm failing to have these constraints coexist with my original package_pin LOC constraints for the MGT RX/TX pins. Does this mean I'm doing something I should not do? Is the proper way to just abandon the package_pin constraints for the MGT RX/TX lines? This implies I also have to remove these lines from my top-level ports, right? (Which to me feels like hiding something important.) Or can I have compatible package_pin constraints coexist with the channel LOC constraints in the IBERT xdc files?

Best regards,

Jeroen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
eschidl
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @jhegeman ,

if you create an IBERT example design it should have already all constraints you need. There should not be any modification necessary for the transceivers.

The tools only allow one declaration for transceiver locations, either you lock the CHANNEL primitive down or the pins. But not both together. If you use both together you run into the errors you see.

You will still need to bring the RX/TX pins up to the toplevel of your design.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
eschidl
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @jhegeman ,

if you create an IBERT example design it should have already all constraints you need. There should not be any modification necessary for the transceivers.

The tools only allow one declaration for transceiver locations, either you lock the CHANNEL primitive down or the pins. But not both together. If you use both together you run into the errors you see.

You will still need to bring the RX/TX pins up to the toplevel of your design.

Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
jhegeman
Observer
Observer

Thanks @eschidl,

Thanks for your answer. I will stick to using the IBERT-provided constraints only then.

Best regards,

Jeroen

0 Kudos