UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor vikramsb93
Visitor

GTX Transmitter and reciever design

To put it simply. I have never used GTX before. I am a beginner to this topic

However I need to perform 5Gbps data transfer between two FPGAs using an optical link.

What i think is GTX will help me out with this task?

What are the documentations available to design a basic transmitter link

Evaluation Board VC707.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: GTX Transmitter and reciever design

The User Guide will be invaluable - UG476 in this case.  The product guide for how to use the transceiver wizard will be even more useful PG168.  You may need some background on transceiver concepts.  This would be a good start: 

https://www.xilinx.com/publications/archives/books/serialio.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

The link you posted seems to be broken.
I get a 'invalid set of parameters have been specified in the URL'

EDIT : Now works

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Designing a serdes protocol from scratch as someone new to them might be a bit daunting.  You may want to look at the Aurora 8b10b IP which will do all of the initialization and link management for you, will use a minimal number of resources and provides a simple interface into your own logic.  It should operate just fine over an optical link provided the optics themselves have been initialized appropriately (usually just making sure it's not being held in reset or powered down).