UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor plsully
Visitor

Series 7 GTX receiver default termination mode for unused transceivers

Jump to solution

I'm trying to determine whether GTX receiver pins for unused GTX transceivers should be left floating or grounded.  Table 5-7, "GTX/GTH Transceiver PCB Design Checklist", in "7 Series FPGAs GTX/GTH Transceivers User Guide, UG476 (v1.12) December 19, 2016", states that unused receivers that are biased should be left floating, whereas unused receivers that are unbiased should be grounded.  If I bring up the transceiver wizard, the default setting for the RX termination on the "Comma Alignment and Equalization" tab indicates that the termination mode is "programmable", which is a biased receiver.  Based on that, I would conclude that all unused receivers should be left floating.  However, I'd like confirmation from more experienced users, so I don't fall victim to using logic to come to a false conclusion with confidence.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor plsully
Visitor

Re: Series 7 GTX receiver default termination mode for unused transceivers

Jump to solution

Good thought!  That's pretty good evidence.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Jump to solution

If you look on page 13 of the VC707 schematic, you'll see that the unused GTX TX & RX pins are not connected, just floating.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/vc707_Schematic_xtp135_rev1_0.pdf

That's a bit of evidence to support the "let them float" argument.

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
Visitor plsully
Visitor

Jump to solution

Good thought!  That's pretty good evidence.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

There is a common mode voltage associated with the receiver when it is powered. This is what is meant by biased.  I tested the VC707 and the RX pins do bias when the chip is powered so if the power group for the transceiver in question is powered the RX pins should be left floating.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Visitor plsully
Visitor

Jump to solution

Wow, thank-you for doing that.  I'm convinced at this point to leave the RX pins floating.

0 Kudos