cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tchin123
Voyager
Voyager

Tansceiver GTH location selection and FPGA Bank association

I using the zcu106 development board and I'm using two Ethernet IP where the mgt_clk pin are defined at w9/w10 and rx/tx sgmii I/O  are defined at aa1/aa2/y3/y4 and w1/w2/w5/w6 all at bank225.

When I create the ethernet IP with the wizard, how do I determine the correct GT location to select that is associated with bank 225 and GTH transceiver clock and tx/rx pins? 

The wizard GT location  has selection from x0y0 to x0y19 for the XCZU7EV FPGA. If I keep it at the default  X0X0, will this create error with my design?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
roym

It makes a difference for sure.  You want X0Y2.  The phy tab shows the pin numbers on the right hand side.  The refclk goes by Refclk0 or Refclk1 and W9 and W10 are refclk1 from the zcu schematic.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution
Be sure to visit the Resources post periodically to keep up with the latest
https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Serial-Transceivers/Serial-Transceiver-Forum-Guidelines-and-Useful-Resources/td-p/1173590

phyTab.JPG
0 Kudos
tchin123
Voyager
Voyager

For the XCZU7EV FPGA transceiver, the ZCU106 development board is using Bank 225 which from the Wizard will point to GTH LOC : X0Y10 and X0Y11.

Now I try to change the GTH LOC for each of the two Ethernet IP within the wizard, but when I select one of the IP in the Source window, both of the IP is highlighted as shown below. The problem is I can't select each one individually to change the GTH LOC

tchin123_0-1617903646305.png

0 Kudos
roym

In this case you seem to have instantiated axi_ethernet_0.xci twice.  You need an axi_ethernet_0.xci and an axi_ethernet_1.xci in order to put them in separate places.  This seems like something more ethernet centric than GT wizard so I'm not sure how this comes about.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Serial-Transceivers/Serial-Transceiver-Forum-Guidelines-and-Useful-Resources/td-p/1173590

0 Kudos
tchin123
Voyager
Voyager

What I did was created the IP then performed a <Open IP Example Design>, another Vivado session open with all the required clock support block. I instantiated two copy of the  Instantiation Template into my design. Maybe that is why they are tie together but they are separate instance and Implementation didn't complained. 

Not sure how I would create a new IP within the "IP_Example_Design Vivado session" with a different defined GT LOC ? Never work on a design with two identical IP. Normally my design will start within the IP_Example_Design" Vivado session.

0 Kudos
roym

The the different pin locations in the physical location tab of the wizard makes these instances different.  You can't make an instance and then "move" it by changing pin constraints.  You need to set the location in the GT wizard.

0 Kudos