UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor acyuzuguler
Visitor

A question about FPGA's power characteristics

Jump to solution

Hi,

Theoretically, power consumption of a semiconductor device is expected to be proportional to the square of the clock frequency. However, FPGA chips has a linear power vs frequency characteristics. I wonder what might be the reason behind this? Does anyone have an explanation for why power consumption of FPGA chips increases linearly with clock frequency?

Best,

A. Caner Yüzügüler 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar dwisehart
Scholar

Re: A question about FPGA's power characteristics

Jump to solution
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Where did you read about the linearity of the power with clock frequency. 

The power consumption in an FPGA depends on many factors as the logic inside the FPGA is not fixed. 

Based on the different component utilizations and the clock used for that, the power consumption increases. You can check the XPE spreadsheet and input values based on your expected device utilization to check the pwoer consumed - http://www.xilinx.com/products/design_tools/logic_design/xpe.htm

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
Visitor acyuzuguler
Visitor

Jump to solution

I have tested it personally. I only changed clock frequency of my design (output of PLL) without modifying the design while resource usage, toggle rates etc. remain unchanged and measured the current supplied from Vccint. When I plot 'power vs frequency' graph over 5 MHz and 500MHz , I observed that it is exactly linear. Besides, XPE also indicates a linear increase on power when the clock frequency is increased.

My question is, a usual silicon transistor's power consumption is directly proportional to the square of the clock frequency. But for a Xilinx FPGA chip, it is linearly increasing with clock frequency. Is it possible Xilinx uses a different technology with such a power characteristics?  

Best,

A. Caner Yüzügüler

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

> Theoretically, power consumption of a semiconductor device is expected to be proportional to the square

> of the clock frequency.

You need to go back and check your textbooks, but this wrong.   Dynamic power is approximately = C*V^2*F

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
Scholar dwisehart
Scholar

Jump to solution
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

Just to beat this dead horse one more time, the power is linear with frequency because power is energy per unit time, and the energy to switch a capacitance on or off once is fixed for a given voltage.  Twice the frequency will switch the capacitor twice as many times in a second, or twice the energy per second, hence twice (not 4 times) the power.

-- Gabor