UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Extracting temp info from XADC, embedded in MIG/DDR3

Hi.

Kintex, ISE14.7 with EDK design.

My EDK design instantiates the DDR3 interface. This uses up the XADC for DQS alignment purposes: fair enough.

Now, I would really like to gain Microblaze access to the core temperature info for external monitoring purposes. Is there a simple way of doing this?

AR54380 shows how to set up the DDR interface in EDK with an external Tempertaure monitor. The possibility here is to instantiate the XADC inependently and feed the temperature info back into the DDR3 interface block in EDK. Consequently I would have access to the XADC since it would now be instantiated in MHS, attached to MicroBlaze via AXI4Lite.

I have to say, I am a bit leary of reconfiguring the DDR interface in this way, and have no example code on EXACTLY how to hook up the XADC after disabling the DDR's internal XADC. Is this the ONLY way I can get what I want? If so, does anyone have any reliable example code (eg MHS) on how to do it?

Alternatively, can I somehow extract the temp info from the XADC without moving it from the DDR block?

Cheers

Clive

2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Extracting temp info from XADC, embedded in MIG/DDR3

Hi,

You can go through the Pg 720 of the ZYNQ TRM to understand better on the PS and PL XADC - http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug585-Zynq-7000-TRM.pdf. Read through these pages to understand better.

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
Scholar trenz-al
Scholar

Re: Extracting temp info from XADC, embedded in MIG/DDR3

I really do not want encourage any more using EDK or ISE as those tools are abandoned and past history now.

With MIG there really is no other way - you must FEED the temp into MIG if you want to use XADC for any other purposes.

This is however very simple, you just start XADC wizard, and export the TEMPERATURE reading, this needs to be connected to MIG. Thats it.

A few mouse clicks and on port to connect between XADC and MIG