UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Getting the right bitstream for BPI out of a BIT or BIN file

Jump to solution

Hi,

Can I create the right bitstream to put directly on a BPI flash of the SP605 board?  I want the microblaze to receive a bitstream with tcp/ip and write it into the BPI flash and then reboot.  But I have some troubels to make the completely right bitstream.

I programmed the BPI, by using Impact (make MCS file + downloading with JTAG)  and it works fine.  But when I compare the contents of the working desing in the BPI flash   with a BIT (after removing the header) or BIN file or MCS file:  then I see 7 bytes different on the entire bitstream.  I think I tried all posibilities in impact (all file formats and SWAP bit ON and OFF).  

The first byte is wrong  at address 0x21  it should be 0x00 (according to Impact programming) but in the bit and bin file I have 0x02 or 0x40 (I cant remember exactly wich bitswap it was).   The other 6 different values are almost at the end of the bitfile.

I did it once for SPI flash ... and it was enough to cut-off the header of the BIT-file to make it work, but it seems different for BPI. 

Also, when I reboot the FPGA from the programmed BPI, I have no red light, but neither a green light ... it's like it's keeping programming itself on and on.

Thanks,

Serge

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Getting the right bitstream for BPI out of a BIT or BIN file

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

BitGen will create a .bin file so you woun't have to manaully remove the header.  You can also creat a .bin file from PROMGen using the -p bin flag.  This will create a bitswapped .bin file.  If you create both of these and view them in a hex editor you should be able to see the difference. 

I would then us the readback feature in iMPACT to double check the data formating in the flash.  Start with reading back a known workng prom image, then program in one of the bin files, run a readback, program in the other bin and run another readback.  Check the sync word AA995566 and make sure the asignment is correct.

You can also double check the bit file settings you have and reset these to defaults. 

There is also a multi-boot refernce design that ships with that board which may help. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi,

thanks for youre reply.

I think that the most evident problem might be in the settings of BITGEN indeed ... since even XPS did fail to reprogarm the BPI correctly.  I never changed the settings, so the settings are the one of the refference design (BIST ref design delivered with SP605).  ... and setting to default, I didn't find.

I posted a new question regarding the BIT settings (coz i'm kind of lost in the numerous commands that are available)

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/EDK-and-Platform-Studio/XPS-12-x-fails-to-program-BPI/m-p/109091

Serge

0 Kudos

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
Visitor tenantfile
Visitor

Jump to solution
I am also do my efforts for BIT settings. The link you send it works. I will inform you further regarding this.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos