Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flowe
Visitor
Visitor

2017.1 - java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

Hello,

we run into a problem starting build in simulator in new Vivado. It might be only one machine, cause it work's on another one.

Anyway, if we try to start a simulation a "Vivado Internal Exception" window pops up saying "Vivado is in an unstable state".

The error appears also with the IP Core Example Projects.

[Vivado 12-106] *** Exception: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException (See /home/florian.weiss/vivado_pid4336.debug)

[Vivado 12-106] *** Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException (See /home/florian.weiss/vivado_pid4336.debug)

We tried to reinstall Vivado and updated to the newest JDK. On same machine Vivado 2016.4 works fine.

Help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
svenn
Contributor
Contributor

I see the same failure in creating a simulation in 2017.1 on a win10 and a win 8.1 machine.

Both running simulations in 2016.3.

0 Kudos
svenn
Contributor
Contributor

@xilinx: I am wondering if this issue has to do with signal <= 'H' assignment in vhdl. In all testbenches where this error happens, I have been trying to simulate i2c where the wires are Z when data actually is high, and then the 'H' assignment pulls the wire high.
0 Kudos
amaccre

Hi flowe,

Have a look at the following Answer Record, it may help.

There is an issue with Java on some Linux machines in 2017.1, this has been fixed in 2017.2

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/69088.html

Best Regards
Aidan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if this answered your question
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and may help other users
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dpaul24
Scholar
Scholar

Reopening this thread, as I am seeing this exception in Viv 2017.1 (64-bit) on Windows 7.

java_excp_err.jpg

I tried the solution as told above, to re-name the protobuf-java-3.1.0.jar file. But it didn't work.

So now I will install the 2017.2, open my project with the new Vivado and see what happens.

------------FPGA enthusiast------------
Consider giving "Kudos" if you like my answer. Please mark my post "Accept as solution" if my answer has solved your problem

0 Kudos
dpaul24
Scholar
Scholar

Update to my above post.

I have once run my project with Vivado 2017.2 and while opening waveforms containing Xs or Zs, I don't see the Java Exception error message.

------------FPGA enthusiast------------
Consider giving "Kudos" if you like my answer. Please mark my post "Accept as solution" if my answer has solved your problem

0 Kudos
rappysaha
Adventurer
Adventurer

The workaround solve my similar problem in Vivado 2020.2

Thank you

0 Kudos