UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer marinejavier
Observer

2017.2 vivado simulator: simulation does not launch "unknown error occurred"

Hi everyone,

Before anything I apology for my English and thanks in advance.

My issue is directly when I try to simulate any design, I tried to simulate a very simple design, which I attach it below and other similar with the same result.

I have to say that I tried with Vivado 2017.1 after I tried with Vivado 2017.2 and also I tried with Vivado 2016.3 with the same result. I deleted all of them and I have installed again the Vivado 2017.2 but I didn't get any change.

As you can see on the capture, the message say: " ERROR: unknow error occurred" I tried to reshearch through internet and on the foro and I couldn't found a issue similar and the vivado's clue it is not very helpfull. I hope somebody with more experience could help in this issue.

Thanks very much to everyone for your help.

**********************************   this is the code ******************************************************************

library IEEE;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL;
use IEEE.NUMERIC_STD.ALL;

entity pwm4 is
       port (
              reset: in STD_LOGIC;
              clk: in STD_LOGIC;
              duty: in STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (3 downto 0);
              period: in STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (3 downto 0);
              pwm: out STD_LOGIC
          );
end pwm4;

architecture Behavioral of pwm4 is

signal count : STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(3 downto 0);
begin

P_cnt4: process (clk,reset)
            begin
               if (reset = '1') then
                    count <= (others=>'0');
              elsif rising_edge(clk)then
                   if (count = std_logic_vector(unsigned(period) - 1)) then -- cuenta = periodo -1
                           count<=(others=>'0');
                   else
                           count <= std_logic_vector (unsigned(count) + 1); -- incremento cuenta.
                   end if;
             end if;
end process;

P_pwm_out: process (count)
     begin
            if (count < duty) then
                pwm <= '1';
           else
               pwm <= '0';
           end if;
     end process;

end Behavioral;

********************************************** Tech Bench file *********************************************************************

library IEEE;
use IEEE.Std_logic_1164.all;
use IEEE.Numeric_Std.all;

entity pwm4_tb is
end;

architecture bench of pwm4_tb is

component pwm4
     port (
              reset: in STD_LOGIC;
              clk: in STD_LOGIC;
             duty: in STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (3 downto 0); 
             period: in STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (3 downto 0);
             pwm: out STD_LOGIC
       );
end component;

signal reset: STD_LOGIC;
                signal clk: STD_LOGIC;
                signal duty: STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (3 downto 0);
                signal period: STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (3 downto 0);
                signal pwm: STD_LOGIC ;

constant clock_period: time := 10 ns;
                signal stop_the_clock: boolean;

begin

uut: pwm4 port map ( reset => reset,
                                   clk => clk,
                                  duty => duty,
                                  period => period,
                                  pwm => pwm );

stimulus: process
         begin

-- Put initialisation code here

-- Put test bench stimulus code here

stop_the_clock <= true;
        wait;
end process;

clocking: process
      begin
            while not stop_the_clock loop
                clk <= '0', '1' after clock_period / 2;
                wait for clock_period;
            end loop;
           wait;
       end process;

end;

captura_1.png
0 Kudos
30 Replies

Re: 2017.2 vivado simulator: simulation does not launch "unknown error occurred"

Hi @marinejavier,

I have tried with 2017.1 and I have no issue.

-> Could you try with the attached project in 2017.1 and let me know if it works?

-> What OS are you using?

Regards,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Observer marinejavier
Observer

Re: 2017.2 vivado simulator: simulation does not launch "unknown error occurred"

Hello Florent,

Thanks for your answer.

Well, I tried to run the file with you sent me and the result was exactly the same, I attached the screen capture of the result.

I have run the file, which I uploaded as example, in other PC and I have no issue. But it was not mi computer.

The strange is that Vivado was working well until (as I referred above) the antivirus did something and now even without the antivirus and after uninstall/reinstall everything again, it doesn't work. (I don't know if this can help to find the issue)

Many Thanks.

Regards.

Javier

capture.png
0 Kudos
Observer marinejavier
Observer

I am Sorry, 

My OS is Win-10. 

thanks very much

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @marinejavier,

Can you run your simulation with -nosignalhandlers option? In your simulation settings , under elaborate option  , add -nosignalhandlers  under more options and launch simulation.

Thanks,

Srimayee

0 Kudos
Observer marinejavier
Observer

Hi Srimayee, 

I have tried to look the setting which you suggested but (I am new with vivado/fpga) I only have found this (I attached capture below) and I could not type anything in it.

Any idea?

Thanks for your help.

Javier.

captura.png
0 Kudos
Observer marinejavier
Observer

I am sorry, I just realized that it could be this option.

Thanks

captura.png
0 Kudos
Observer marinejavier
Observer

If this is the correct setting on the option, after launch the simulation I got the same result. " launch simulation failed"....
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Is the error seen in every project? Try an example design. If yes, this is specific to your environment.

Also try to enter "-nosignalhandlers" in Simulation tab > xsim.simulate.xsim.more_options.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Observer marinejavier
Observer

Hi Graces,

As always, thanks for your help.

As I mentioned in previous posts, I am hundred percent sure that something happened with the antivirus. I am in contact with the antivirus's company and when I receive an answer, if this is satisfactory, I will post it to try to help to other people.

Having said that I can't understand how, if I reinstall Vivado again from scratch and with the antivirus off, the problem persists. This can't be an isolate issue, if someone have happened something similar, please share the solution.

Thanks very much Graces, for your try.  Please don't hesitate to type anything else that think that I could try.

PS: I attached a capture of your suggestion, I hope this can help to other person.

Javier.

captura.png
0 Kudos
Observer marinejavier
Observer

I am sorry again,

Yes, the error appear in all of the projects. The above capture belonging to Vivado's example.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

This has to do with your environment. Possibly it is conflict with other applications.

What if you run "xsim" from command line? Follow these steps and see what the output is.

1. From Start menu, type "cmd"

2. In the command prompt, run the following commands sequentially.

<vivado_install_path>\2017.1\settings64.bat

cd C:\Users\my\Downloads\2017.1\2017.1.sim\sim_1\behav

xsim pwm4_tb_behav -verbose -tl

0 Kudos
Observer marinejavier
Observer

Hi Graces,

I am relatively new on vivado and I don't know exactly how command line work, I just follow your instructions. As you can see on the capture, I changed "2017.1" by "2017.2" why I don't have the version 2017.1 anymore. Please if you see something wrong just let me know.

Below I attached the capture, this is the only respond. Nothing was opened or executed, at least visually.

Thanks you very much.

Kind Regards

Javier

capture.png
0 Kudos

Hi marinejavier,

As, you experienced that Anti Virus did something. Please check Whether the files xsim.exe and xvhd.exe are present in the below location

<Vivado installation path>\bin\unwrapped\win64.o

Thanks & Regards,

A.Shameer.

0 Kudos
Observer marinejavier
Observer

Hi Shameera, 

Yes It is being a nightmare.

As always I attach a capture just in case you can see in it another thing.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Observer marinejavier
Observer

capture.png
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@marinejavier wrote:

Hi Graces,

I am relatively new on vivado and I don't know exactly how command line work, I just follow your instructions. As you can see on the capture, I changed "2017.1" by "2017.2" why I don't have the version 2017.1 anymore. Please if you see something wrong just let me know.

Below I attached the capture, this is the only respond. Nothing was opened or executed, at least visually.

Thanks you very much.

Kind Regards

Javier

I meant to run "cmd" from Windows start menu, rather than from Tcl console.

In addition, these are 3 commands and you need to execute them one by one.

0 Kudos
Observer marinejavier
Observer

Hi,

Ups !!! I am sorry , as I said above I don't use much  cmd o Tcl.

I attached the result after executing what you suggested to me.

Many Thanks & Regards.

capture.png
0 Kudos

Hi @marinejavier

Open vivado 2017.2.

Run the command report_environment -file  path /env.txt in Tcl Console. 

Share that env.txt file here. ( You will find this file in the path which you have mentioned in the command.)

Regards,

hemangd

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
Observer marinejavier
Observer

Hi Hemangd, 

Here you have the folder. 

Thanks, Regards.

0 Kudos

Hi @marinejavier

As going through env.txt, i did not find the license for "simulation" feature. Can you provide the Xilinx.lic license file which is present in the Xilinx directory. (You can find its path in env.txt itself.)

Have you run any project in Vivado (any version)  earlier?

Regrds,

hemangd

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
Observer marinejavier
Observer

Hi Hemangd,

I always have use the WebPack, As student is was the licence that was recommended to work with vivado and I have executed projects and I have simulated it before.

Maybe the problem come because when the issue started, as I mentioned, I deleted the software and I instaled it again, so maybe could this be?

Anyway, I attached you the xilinx.lic which I found on the path..

Thanks

0 Kudos
Observer marinejavier
Observer

I realized that last time when I installed the Vivado 2017.2 I didn't load the xilinx.lic WebPack. I did now and the problem persist.

0 Kudos

Hi @marinejavier,

Whenever you want to check your which license you have installed in your Vivado, you can go through the vivado license manager and check in certificate based licenses. 

A work around - You can downlaod a new vivado webpack from the vivado license manager and attach it to the vivado. ( And do not attach other licenses to vivado, just for the check.)

Hope it will help.

Regards,

hemangd

Regards,
hemangd

Observer marinejavier
Observer

Hi Hemang,

Thank you very much for your answer.

I did, below you can see the result.

I tried to run the simulation and still doesn't work.

I will try to uninstall completely the antivirus and try again with Vivado. if doesn't work, I will uninstall Vivado too, and  I will download Vivado and Webpack license again and start everything from scratch (without antivirus), let see what happen.

Thanks & Regards.

captura.png
0 Kudos
Observer marinejavier
Observer

Hi Hemang,

The antivirus company answered me:

" the folders locked were "

C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2017.1\tps\mingw\6.2.0\win64.o\nt\x86_64-w64-mingw32\bin\ld.exe

As you cans see it is refered to Vivado 2017.1 which I don't have install now. But I attached the caputure of the same possition but in 2017.2, in this path I can see the \wingw...... maybe is the problem come from there?, I don't know....

I hope this can help.

Best Regards.

captura.png
0 Kudos
Observer marinejavier
Observer

Sorry....

I mean.... I can't see the \wingw......
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You didn't see \mingw because you went to Vivado_HLS rather than Vivado directory.

With regards to the 'xsim' command I suggested previously, please remove "-verbose" option. It looks it's an invalid option. Sorry for the confusion.

Highlighted
Observer marinejavier
Observer

Hi Graces,

Sorry for the delay.

You are right, I had a mistake with the folder path. I attached the new capture, in this one the file exist.

Many Thanks

captura.png
0 Kudos
Observer marinejavier
Observer

Hi Graces

Also, I tried your previous suggestion without "- verbose ", as always, I attached the result.

This time, it worked !!!!!

The steps I folowed:

1) Your suggestions (I show it on the capture below).
             2) Running Vivado and try the vivado's example (simulating it) .
             3) I closed Vivado and cmd.
             4) I runned and simulated again just Vivado.

Now the simulation seem is working, I need to do more test but this look a very hopeful step.

I will let, all of you, know in a few days if this is keeping working.

As always, thanks very, very much to every body.

PS: I also deleted completely the antivirus, which produced this,  from my computer. 

captura.png