UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Cadence NCSim and Memory Initialization Files (MIF)

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I'm verifying my FPGA design with Cadence. My current problem is related to a memory initialization file (MIF). I want to add the MIF file with the following code:

-f path_to_file.mif

Cadence complains that the file given is not a VHDL or a Verilog file and exits with an error. If I remove the file then I can start the simulation but the simulation crashes complaining that the file.mif cannot be found.

A workaround is putting the file.mif in the directory where the simulation is started. But this is not good because I want to provide a solution for everyone and everyone should be able to run the simulation out of the box without copying files. I could do this by script, but I want to provide Cadence the path to the file.

Can anybody provide a solution?

Thanks in advance!

Sebastian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: Cadence NCSim and Memory Initialization Files (MIF)

Jump to solution

MIF files are memory initialization files that contain the memory initialization data specified in coefficient files (.COE) for certain IP cores (For example the Block Memory Generator).  

The .mif file is referenced in the simulation models with the expectation that the file will be located in the same location as that of the simulation directory.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: Cadence NCSim and Memory Initialization Files (MIF)

Jump to solution

MIF files are memory initialization files that contain the memory initialization data specified in coefficient files (.COE) for certain IP cores (For example the Block Memory Generator).  

The .mif file is referenced in the simulation models with the expectation that the file will be located in the same location as that of the simulation directory.  

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Cadence NCSim and Memory Initialization Files (MIF)

Jump to solution

@graces

Thank you very much for your help. So this is what I am doing so far and as far as I understand you there is no other possibility.

Kind regards

Sebastian

0 Kudos
Visitor zvigol
Visitor

Re: Cadence NCSim and Memory Initialization Files (MIF)

Jump to solution

There is another way to overcome this issue :

Using verilog defparam to point to mif file

Like :

defparam aaa.bbb.ccc.C_INIT_FILE_NAME = "path_for_mif_file" ;

Zvi Goldenberg

0 Kudos