UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor hermes.tsai
Visitor

Can ISE simulator run the simulation of the Endpoint Block Plus for PCI Express?

Jump to solution

Hi,

Can ISE simulator run the simulation of the Endpoint Block Plus for PCI Express?

There are three ways, vcs, ncsim and mti, in user guide(UG341), but no mentioning ISE simulator.

Thanks,

Hermes

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Can ISE simulator run the simulation of the Endpoint Block Plus for PCI Express?

Jump to solution

Hi Manu,

I have attached a script that works for the device family you specified. I created it for Linux, although these are standard commands so it should work on Windows as well. Just ensure you change the $XILINX/veriilog/src/glbl.v to %XILINX%\verilog\src\glbl.v.

You will also see these messages about bad trailing charachters, although you can safely ignore this and it is same as what you would see with the other simulators as well.

The main changes are :

1. You will need have a script that uses ISim commands - simulate_isim.csh

2. You will need to modify some of the .f files as ISim does not support comments and calling one .f from another .f file. I have filed change requests to add support for this in ISim.

Please note - The Xilinx PCIe team does not officially support ISim and this is why you may not get support via the regular support channels.

Thanks

Duth

Message Edited by duthv on 10-28-2009 01:49 PM
19 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Can ISE simulator run the simulation of the Endpoint Block Plus for PCI Express?

Jump to solution

Hi Hermes,

Yes the simulation does work, although it is not officially supported by the PCIe team and this is why you dont see a script for it.

This is significantly easier to do with the 11.2 and if you can clarify which PCIe core you are using (V5, V6, S6), I can provide a script that should get you up and running.

Thanks

Duth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer manu
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have been trying to simulate the PCIe core for V5 in ISIM for the last 2 days and got into quite a mess.

Still no simulation is running.

I am targetting a Virtex-5 SX50T and I, as well as others, would be extremely grateful to get a script to run the smiulation for version 1.12 of the core in ISE 11.3.

Thanks,

Regards,

Manu

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Manu,

I have attached a script that works for the device family you specified. I created it for Linux, although these are standard commands so it should work on Windows as well. Just ensure you change the $XILINX/veriilog/src/glbl.v to %XILINX%\verilog\src\glbl.v.

You will also see these messages about bad trailing charachters, although you can safely ignore this and it is same as what you would see with the other simulators as well.

The main changes are :

1. You will need have a script that uses ISim commands - simulate_isim.csh

2. You will need to modify some of the .f files as ISim does not support comments and calling one .f from another .f file. I have filed change requests to add support for this in ISim.

Please note - The Xilinx PCIe team does not officially support ISim and this is why you may not get support via the regular support channels.

Thanks

Duth

Message Edited by duthv on 10-28-2009 01:49 PM
Observer manu
Observer

Jump to solution

Hello Duth,

Thank you for your help.

I am a fairly new user of ISIM but I have experience in simulation.

The fact is that I cannot find in the ISIM documentation how to run your scripts using command line.

I used the ISE GUI to run the command file simulate_isim_gui.csh, after adding all the source files and correcting `includes issues with them.

but I end up with the same error as without the command file:

ERROR:HDLCompiler:559 - "N:/L.57/rtf/verilog/src/unisims/PCIE_2_0.v" Line 2957: Could not find module/primitive <B_PCIE_2_0>.
ERROR:HDLCompiler:559 - "N:/L.57/rtf/verilog/src/unisims/GTXE1.v" Line 2500: Could not find module/primitive <B_GTXE1>.
ERROR:Simulator:778 - Static elaboration of top level Verilog design unit(s) in library work failed

I am not sure if it is just me not being able to find the way to run your script properly, or if the script is not used.

Well, I installed on another machine ISE11.2 and the simulation runs very using ISIM, I'm woried I have hit a bug in the libraries.

Thanks,

Regards,

Manu

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Manu,

To run the script, you just need to open a command prompt window and execute the script.

Doing this inside Proj Nav is a little more tricky and you wont be able to run this script directly inside the ISE GUI Tcl console, as this is intended to run directly in the OS command prompt. If you would like to convert the sample design to PN, then I would recommend that you open a case with Xilnx Technical Support as there is some work involved to get this to work in PN. 

http://www.xilinx.com/support/techsup/tappinfo.htm

Thanks

Duth

0 Kudos
Visitor scottramsey
Visitor

Jump to solution

I had the same issue (missing those exact modules), except that I am using Modelsim PE 6.5c for simulation. 

I am working with ISE 11.3, and the PCIe V5 embedded core version 1.12. 

To solve the issue, I needed to manually locate the source files located within the Xilinx ISE install directory, and compile them into the appropriate library (ie "unisims_ver") within my ModelSim environment. 

Depending on your installation structure, it may look like this:

"$XILINX\verilog\src\unisims\GTXE1.v"

"$XILINX\verilog\src\unisims\PCIE_2_0.v"

I had previously performed a full simulation library compilation using the ISE 11.3 GUI/wizard, but apparently it missed some files.

Once you locate these files, you may then need to add and compile additional libraries in the "secureip" folder, you may find that now a module named "B_PCIE_2_0" is missing. 

In the secureip library, you should have all of the following added:

B_PCIE_A1

PCIE_2_0_WRAP

PCIE_A1_WRAP

PCIE_INTERNAL_1_1_SWIFT

Depending again on your installation and choice of simulator, the path to the files may look like this.

$XILINX\secureip\mti.... 

I am not sure which one contains the B_PCIE_2_0 module, but adding all of these fixed my sim. 

YMMV with other simulators. :)

-Scott

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Scott,

If you were using Compxlib (Compilation Wizard) to compile your simulation libraries, then you would not need to do these additional steps.

If you had to do these additonal steps then something else could be the problem, as complib should be  doing this for you already. Do note you should pick the correct device family when you run compxlib or it will not compile the correct SecureIP blocks for you.

More information on Compxlib can be found in the Command Line Tools Reference Guide :

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx11/devref.pdf

Chapter 26.

Thanks

Duth

0 Kudos
Visitor scottramsey
Visitor

Jump to solution

I did use compxlib (GUI, not command line), I selected all devices/familes as well. 

I recently did a fresh installation of both Modelsim PE 6.5c and ISE 11.1 -> 11.2 -> 11.3 patches, then ran compxlib.....yet those files were still missing. 

I'll have a look at the link, thanks for posting it.

-Scott

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Scott,

Would it be possible for you to open a Case with Xilinx Support on this? I have done this multiple times and not seen a problem.

Something odd is going on here.

Thanks

Duth

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi -- I am seeing the same problem:

ERROR:HDLCompiler:559 - "/build/xfndry10/L.68/rtf/verilog/src/unisims/PCIE_2_0.v" Line 2957: Could not find module/primitive <B_PCIE_2_0>.
ERROR:HDLCompiler:559 - "/build/xfndry10/L.68/rtf/verilog/src/unisims/GTXE1.v" Line 2515: Could not find module/primitive <B_GTXE1>.

Running w/ ISE (ISIM) 11.4 & PCIe Endpoint Block Plus v1.13.

Is there a known solution?

Thanks,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

This is a known issue with the flow in project navigator. The problem had to do with the fact that the PCIe Endpoint Block Plus V1.13 uses V6 models for testbench and this is why ISim is not able to find it.

There is a  way to work around this problem.

If you right click on "simulate behavioral model" and select properties then under other compiler options, enter -L secureip

This should resolve the problem you are running into.

Thanks

Duth

Jump to solution

Thanks!  That fixes the problem.

-Daniel

0 Kudos
Visitor pclet
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi

I used the Cadence ISU.

It's issued "ncelab: *E,CUVMUR (/home/pclet/ISE11.5/ISE/verilog/src/unisims/PCIE_2_0.v,3195|18): instance 'test.PCIE@xilinx_pcie_2_0_rport_v6<module>.rport@pcie_2_0_rport_v6<module>.pcie_2_0_i@pcie_2_0_v6_rp<module>.pcie_block_i@PCIE_2_0<module>.B_PCIE_2_0_INST' of design unit 'B_PCIE_2_0' is unresolved in 'unisims.PCIE_2_0:v'."

I don't find unit "B_PCIE_2_0".

What I do?

Thanks

Michael

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

From the error message it looks like you may not have compiled the libraries for Xilinx libraries as yet.

Please ensure that you are following Appendix B from the Synthesis and Simulation Design Guide:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx12_4/sim.pdf

Thanks

Duth

0 Kudos
Visitor dgjung
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi Duth,

Thank you for your help.

I have another problem.

"pci_exp_usrapp_rx.vhd" in PCI Express dsport files is issued following errors.

Why do it issue?

Thanks

Michael

======== Errors ====================================

constant COMPLETER_ID_CFG : std_logic_vector(15 downto 0) := X"01A0";
                                                                      |
ncvhdl_p: *E,EXPBEG (../PCIe_Ref_Design/v11_5/endpoint_blk_plus_v1_13/simulation/dsport/pci_exp_usrapp_rx.vhd,117|70): expecting the reserved word 'BEGIN' [1.2].
shared variable frame_store_rx         : BYTE_ARRAY;
       |
ncvhdl_p: *E,UNKCCS (../PCIe_Ref_Design/v11_5/endpoint_blk_plus_v1_13/simulation/dsport/pci_exp_usrapp_rx.vhd,121|7): unknown concurrent statement [9].
shared variable frame_store_rx_idx     : INTEGER;
       |
ncvhdl_p: *E,UNKCCS (../PCIe_Ref_Design/v11_5/endpoint_blk_plus_v1_13/simulation/dsport/pci_exp_usrapp_rx.vhd,122|7): unknown concurrent statement [9].
shared variable next_trn_rx_timeout    : INTEGER;
       |
ncvhdl_p: *E,UNKCCS (../PCIe_Ref_Design/v11_5/endpoint_blk_plus_v1_13/simulation/dsport/pci_exp_usrapp_rx.vhd,123|7): unknown concurrent statement [9].
shared variable next_trn_rx_timeout    : INTEGER;
                                                  |
ncvhdl_p: *E,EXPEND (../PCIe_Ref_Design/v11_5/endpoint_blk_plus_v1_13/simulation/dsport/pci_exp_usrapp_rx.vhd,123|50): expecting the reserved word 'END' [1.2].
signal trn_rdst_rdy_n_c       : std_logic;
                      |
ncvhdl_p: *E,ARCNMM (../PCIe_Ref_Design/v11_5/endpoint_blk_plus_v1_13/simulation/dsport/pci_exp_usrapp_rx.vhd,125|22): architecture body identifier mismatch (RTL/TRN_RDST_RDY_N_C) [1.2].
                        |
ncvhdl_p: *E,EXPSMI (../PCIe_Ref_Design/v11_5/endpoint_blk_plus_v1_13/simulation/dsport/pci_exp_usrapp_rx.vhd,125|24): expecting a semicolon (';') [1.2].
                                        |
ncvhdl_p: *E,ARCNMM (../PCIe_Ref_Design/v11_5/endpoint_blk_plus_v1_13/simulation/dsport/pci_exp_usrapp_rx.vhd,125|40): architecture body identifier mismatch (RTL/STD_LOGIC) [1.2].
signal trn_rnp_ok_n_c         : std_logic;
|
ncvhdl_p: *E,EXPACE (../PCIe_Ref_Design/v11_5/endpoint_blk_plus_v1_13/simulation/dsport/pci_exp_usrapp_rx.vhd,126|0): expecting a library unit [11.1].
end; -- pci_exp_usrapp_rx
ncvhdl_p: *E,UXPEOF (../PCIe_Ref_Design/v11_5/endpoint_blk_plus_v1_13/simulation/dsport/pci_exp_usrapp_rx.vhd,875): unexpected end of file.
        errors: 10, warnings: 0

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

You need to tell the simualtor to use the VHDL 93 compiler, so try ncvhdl with the -v93 switch.

Also if you are just running the demo design, you can run the simulate_nc.csh script in the simulation/functional folder as well.

Thanks

Duth

Visitor dgjung
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi Duth,

Thank you for your help.

It's solved

Thanks

Michael.

0 Kudos
Newbie dmitrenko

Jump to solution

Thank!!!!

Simulation OK.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Visitor tba109
Visitor

Jump to solution

Old post, I know. But does anyone still have the script provided by Duth? I am trying to get the wrapper example working in ISIM. 

0 Kudos