cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Command "write_vhdl" with FIFO First-word-Fall-through causing simulation results mismatch

I am seriously troubled by using the "write_vhdl" command to generate a simulation file for FIFO Logic IP with FWFT mode.

I am using 2017.3, i just generated a fifo IP with 32 width and 256 depth with FWFT mode, and wrote a test bench just to write 256 words then read all of them out, with the Xsim and with the IP, the simulation is correct, I can see

it writes from 1 to 256 and reads out 1 to 256.

However, when I synthesize the IP and use write_vhdl fifo_sim.vhd to use this file for simulation, there are funny things happening.

With ZC706, It writes from 1 to 256 and reads out 3 to 256.

With ZCU102, it writes from 1 to 256 and reads out 2 to 256.

Did someone has the same experience? (I upload the project (Fifo_fallthrough_ip_test_ZC706 and *_n_ip_ZC706 test) the later one is using the file after write_vhdl.

If anyone wants to see the project in ZCU102, please comment.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted

Hi @xubintan

I believe that you are not comparing equivalent Simulations.

When you simulate the results of the write_vhdl netlists you are running a functional simulation

Post_Synth_Behavioural_VHDL.JPG

If you run a Post Synthesis Functional simulation on the XCI version of the project then you see the same results

Post_Synth_Functional_XCI.JPG

But if you run the Post Synthesis Timing Simulation then you are seeing different results as the timing data is taken into account

Post_Synth_Timing_XCI.JPG

You can see that the sig_dout is no longer changing on the clock edge but slightly later, about 2.8ns.

Best Regards
Aidan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if this answered your question
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and may help other users
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Hi, @amaccre,

Thank you for pointing this out, that is really cool.

But let's take a look at the figures you posted.

"Previously:  FWFT fifo, testbench writes sig_din = 1, 2, ..., 256"

The pre-synthesis behavior simulation ouputs the 1st value sig_dout = 2 at the rising edge of the clk

The post-synthesis functional ouputs the 1st value sig_dout = 2 at the rising edge of the clk,

the post-synthesis timing outputs the 1st value sig_dout = 1 around 1ns later after the rising edge of the clk

That is the real problem here, the behavior and functional simulation should output sig_dout = 1, no?

Thank you!

0 Kudos