cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ovexler
Observer
Observer

Debugging VIP code

Is it possible to debug the various VIP modules as depicted in the following files:

processing_system7_vip_v1_0_1_axi_gp.v

axi_vip_v1_0_vl_rfs.sv

Those files are generated by Vivado and put into the .....\bd\design_1\ipshared\....  sub-tree of the project.

When I run simulation, continually pressing F8 (debug step) ... I can see that the code actually step into those files as depicted for example in the following response to step command.

step
Stopped at time : 0 fs : File "/wrk/2017.2/nightly/2017_06_15_1909853/packages/customer/vivado/data/ip/xilinx/axi_vip_v1_0/hdl/axi_vip_v1_0_vl_rfs.sv" Line 15818

However trying to set a breakpoints at this location failed:

add_bp {/wrk/2017.2/nightly/2017_06_15_1909853/packages/customer/vivado/data/ip/xilinx/axi_vip_v1_0/hdl/axi_vip_v1_0_vl_rfs.sv} 15818
ERROR: [Simulator 45-5] Line 15818 in file '/wrk/2017.2/nightly/2017_06_15_1909853/packages/customer/vivado/data/ip/xilinx/axi_vip_v1_0/hdl/axi_vip_v1_0_vl_rfs.sv' is not a breakable line. No breakpoint set.

This happened (after) even when I put the axi_vip_v1_0_vl_rfs.sv file in that location on my Hard Drive.

I am struggling with some XILINX  provided VIP code not working properly and I wander if there is some way to debug this code.

Thanks

Oron 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
amaccre

Hi @ovexler,

The AXI Verification IP is written in SystemVerilog and uses randomization. Not all third-party simulators support SystemVerilog and randomization. You can check User Guide UG973 for information about third-party compatibility to the AXI VIP.

In 2017.3 support is enabled for AXI-Stream VIP and the Verification IP now included as part of pre-compiled IP libraries.

Vivado Simulator provides support for AXI-Stream VIP & MPSoC VIP.

Best Regards
Aidan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if this answered your question
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and may help other users
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if this answered your question
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and may help other users
0 Kudos
ovexler
Observer
Observer

So ..... Is there a way to debug this VIP code ... even though it is pre-compiled ?????

Thanks

Oron.

0 Kudos