UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie flydolf12

ERROR:Simulator:861 - Failed to link the design

Jump to solution

hi

i'm a very new student user of xilinx 14.2 design tool who just used it 2 weeks.

this week i should do "Simulate Behavioral Model" but i can't....

just i saw below messages.. and i don't know what is the matter.

-----------------------------

Started : "Simulate Behavioral Model".

Determining files marked for global include in the design... Running fuse... Command Line: fuse -intstyle ise -incremental -lib unisims_ver -lib unimacro_ver -lib xilinxcorelib_ver -o {E:/2012_fall_ISE Project/3rd week/1bit full adder/full_adder1/full_adder1_TB_isim_beh.exe} -prj {E:/2012_fall_ISE Project/3rd week/1bit full adder/full_adder1/full_adder1_TB_beh.prj} work.full_adder1_TB work.glbl {} Running: C:\Xilinx\14.2\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt\unwrapped\fuse.exe -intstyle ise -incremental -lib unisims_ver -lib unimacro_ver -lib xilinxcorelib_ver -o E:/2012_fall_ISE Project/3rd week/1bit full adder/full_adder1/full_adder1_TB_isim_beh.exe -prj E:/2012_fall_ISE Project/3rd week/1bit full adder/full_adder1/full_adder1_TB_beh.prj work.full_adder1_TB work.glbl ISim P.28xd (signature 0x1048c146) Number of CPUs detected in this system: 2 Turning on mult-threading, number of parallel sub-compilation jobs: 4 Determining compilation order of HDL files Analyzing Verilog file "E:/2012_fall_ISE Project/3rd week/1bit full adder/full_adder1/half_adder1.v" into library work Analyzing Verilog file "E:/2012_fall_ISE Project/3rd week/1bit full adder/full_adder1/full_adder1.v" into library work Analyzing Verilog file "E:/2012_fall_ISE Project/3rd week/1bit full adder/full_adder1/full_adder1_TB.v" into library work Analyzing Verilog file "C:/Xilinx/14.2/ISE_DS/ISE//verilog/src/glbl.v" into library work Starting static elaboration Completed static elaboration Fuse Memory Usage: 104956 KB Fuse CPU Usage: 327 ms Compiling module half_adder Compiling module full_adder Compiling module full_adder1_TB Compiling module glbl Time Resolution for simulation is 1ps. Waiting for 3 sub-compilation(s) to finish...

Process "Simulate Behavioral Model" failed

-------------------------------------

i've obeied the procedure in my reference but not working. 

so i re thought and re did but don't know why..

in my friend's computer with OS windows 7, that works well with same source but not mine..

hmm..by any chance, doesn't xilinx 14.2 support OS windows 8 yet??

my OS is windows 8 32bit enterprise k RTM ver.

is this a OS compatibility problem or just my mistake in doing my procedure??

i want to know if there is anyone whose OS is windows 8 and Isim works well!!!

i can't find about 'operating xilinx in windows 8' in my country's sites.

please tell me :)

P.S.  sorry for my poor English, i don't know english well 'cause i'm Korean,

if i could use Korean, I would say what i think and want more concretely..ㅠㅠ

anyway thanks for reading..& please reply if you knows~

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor kristjan0
Visitor

Re: ERROR:Simulator:861 - Failed to link the design

Jump to solution

Thank you for the answer, I will try win8 64bit or downgrade to win7.

Have a nice day

0 Kudos
52 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your participation in xilinx forums.

Xilinx ISE at present does not have support for Windows 8. It only supports upto Windows 7. Since you say that the design seems to work well with WIndows 7, it seems to be a operating system compatibility issue.

In that case you can run the ISE application in compatibility mode. Send a ISE 14.2 shortcut to your desktop. Now right click the ISE icon to display properties. In the properties, check the compatibility mode and select Windows 7 mode and try running it. Now check if the problem has been resloved.

Thanks

Anirudh

PAE xilinx.

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
Visitor pg177
Visitor

Jump to solution

It doesnt solve the problem in any compatibility mode on win8.

0 Kudos
Visitor kristjan0
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi, I have the same problem on win8 ISE 13.3. I have no idea where is the problem, I tried to run ISE in compatibility mode, but no success.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Kristjan,

Windows 8 is not supported for any version of ISE released till now as Windows 8 is a new operating system . The future versions of ISE might support Windows 8.

So looks like a operating system supportability issue. You can try running in Windows 7 for a proper result.

Cheers

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
Visitor kristjan0
Visitor

Jump to solution

Have a nice day

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

@kristjan0 wrote:

Have a nice day

that's probably wise, since Windows 8 hasn't even been released, and if you're trying to get work done, you should stop pushing the envelope with operating systems and use what's known to work.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I'm also very new to ISE and also set up Win8 a couple of weeks ago.

So i've done a little research.

It seems to be that the used MinGW version in ISE is pretty old and not very compatible with windows 8.

But in some threads they suggested to rename the collect2 file in MinGW because it could be buggy in this old version.

So i renamed collect2 in Xilinx\14.2\ISE_DS\ISE\gnu\MinGW\5.0.0\nt\libexec\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2.

Now i have to remove the isim Directory in my project folder every time i compile but it now works.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have now found a few other issues.

-When i try to compile a project with fuse outside the ISE Command Prompt i get an EXEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION but when i turn on verbose mode everything compiles fine.

- If I try to compile a project with fuse inside the ISE Command Prompt i get EXEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION every time, no matter if verbose is set or not.

So i wrote a batch script to compile my project without the ISE environment and set the environment afterwards to run my compiled programm.

Now everything works as expected.

kind regards Nicolas

0 Kudos
Newbie anthbs

Jump to solution

Hi

I am also running Windows 8 and receive the same issue. However I'm running 64bit Windows. If I start using Project navigator (32bit) I get : ERROR:Simulator:861 - Failed to link the design.

However using the Project navigator (64bit) it links and simulates fine. So my work around at the moment is switching between the versions as I have found other issues with the 64bit navigator. E.g.Opening any prompt that uses the windows dialog boxes causes it to crash. Also trying to copy in the editor also crashes.

Hope this was helpful.

0 Kudos
Newbie zerofenix

Jump to solution

If you launch project navigator as an admin it seems to get rid of this problem.

Win8 x64 Pro

0 Kudos
Newbie isot2011

Jump to solution

I do not understand which folder you renamed as collect2. Could you explain more what you did?

0 Kudos
Newbie dineshc

Jump to solution

Since you all said that it is regarding software compatibility of OS

but i am facing same problem while simulation in ISE design suite 13.4.

i have tried to end process from Taskbar regarding Isim and thn again run it still it's showing same problem.

Run as administrator still showing same problem..please reply me..

0 Kudos
Visitor bajla
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi!

He doesn't renamed a directory as collect2, there is a collect2.exe in the directory he wrote down, and he says that he renamed that file, but he forgot to tell, what is the new name of that file. (if i'm correct)

cheers

0 Kudos
Newbie 80185388

Jump to solution

There are many packages of Xilinx not compatible with Win 8. It' is possible that an error may have occurred during the installation. It depends also the packet you installed (for example if it's Webpack or Design Suite...and the version of the program. Definitely, you may not install the 10.2 version in Win 8 for example!). Try to install another xilinx tool for example ModelSim III. 

0 Kudos
Visitor gauravbhand
Visitor

Jump to solution

Same issue:

I am using Win 8 32 Bit Pro, Xilinx ISE Design Suite 14.6, but getting same error. The same code and same test bench works fine on Xilinx 9.2 installed on same OS i.e Win 8 !! Where is the problem ? Is ISIM not compatible with Win 8 to date yet ?? Please suggest me a solution

0 Kudos
Visitor ningunos2010
Visitor

Jump to solution

simply extract the attached zip

copy the file in C:\Xilinx\14.x\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt directory and execute ISE 32 bits. 

Visitor lcruz4
Visitor

Jump to solution

This may be the same fix that ningunos2010 provided but I got this idea from anthbs's post. I looked up what .exe files the ISim tool used, and then simply took the nt64 files and copied them over to the nt folder so that it wouldn't run the 32 bit ISim but the 64 bit one that anthbs claimed would work. At first it didn't come up with any errors it says the simulation ran successfully but it wouldn't open the actual ISim gui. In order to fix this I went to the ISimgui.exe file and unclicked run as administrator. I'm not sure if that's clicked by default or if I had changed it at some point trying to fix the issue.

Anyway these are the files I copied over from nt64 to nt folder:

fuse.exe

isimgui.exe

vhpcomp.exe

vlogcomp.exe

Tags (1)
Visitor leohammerd
Visitor

Jump to solution
I am Windows 8.1 x64 user.
I having all the errors before this.
What I did is downloading the fuse.exe file given by ningunos2010.
After that, run 32-bit Project Navigator.
Works like a charm. Thank you guys!
0 Kudos
Newbie lishunan246

Jump to solution

This is because the MinGW that ISim uses doesn't work with Windows 8. Consider install a new version of MinGW and paste it to C:\Xilinx\12.4\ISE_DS\ISE\gnu\MinGW

Tags (2)
Newbie helio112

Jump to solution

do what ninguno said! it worked for me! 

thank you!!

0 Kudos
Newbie seminario2

Jump to solution

Hello, how are you?

i have a problem with this simulator, in win8 and ise 14.7. the solution in my case: is the sintaxis of the program... bye

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Here's my beef... your input would be greatly appreciated.

Windows 7 on 32 bit Toshiba netbook. I have a fairly trivial VHDL file that describes some simple gates. I'm using ISE/Webpack 14.7 that I downloaded from Xilinx just two days ago.

The design uses an XC9536XL in a VQ44 package and -5 speed

On my netbook in executing a simulation I get:

I was able to synthesize and simulate using ISE/Webpack 14.7 under 32 bit Linux, from a folder in my Linux home directory (not attached media, which is a seperate issue), so I have some confidence that there are no syntax errors.

I did try to replace the fuse with the zip file posted in a prior note, but no luck as it causes simulation to fail during the compilation step. Unlike prior notes, this is a 32 bit Windows 7 system.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Completely uninstalled ISE/Webpack 14.7, downloaded a fresh copy, reinstalled as administrator....

No change

I just opened fuse.exe with Dependency Walker and before I do anything I'm seeing that it cannot find several API-MS-WIN...DLL files as well as DCOMP.DLL and IESHIMS.DLL... Huhhh?? Any ideas??

Just attempted a profile and see that "Warning: At least one delay-load module was not found" and "Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependnet module."

0 Kudos

Jump to solution
Private message me your e-mail address. I can share something with you to try. It had fixed this issue for some other customer.
Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Newbie jerico928

Jump to solution

I got it to work on ISE 64, Windows 8.

It's more of a work around than a proper fix.

NOTE: My ISE 64 kept crashing when I attempted to open a project or change directories on a new project. If you follow the steps below, you'll never need to click open and therefore it shoudl not crash.

1. Have a working project with simultion on 32bit ISE

2. Load said project on ISE 32 and close it. This give you a list of recent projects.

3. Located and run your ISE 64 executatble: i.e. C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt64\ise.exe

4. The last project you ran on 32bit ISE will automatically open on the 64bit ISE

5. Run  you simulation

it worked.PNG
0 Kudos
Newbie adeline7

Jump to solution

thank you worked for me too :)

0 Kudos
Newbie mbhuiyan

Jump to solution

I had the same problem too because I was using 32-bit. As soon as I run 64 bit, It is working perfectly now. 

0 Kudos
Newbie milind3107

Jump to solution

I am using windows 8.1 32bit OS , ISE 14.7 and modelsim 10.4. When i use modelsim as simulator it showing the error which i included in screenshot as well as .txt file . when i use isim then also it shows an eeror. I tried the solution which are discuseed above but none of these are working for me. Some of saying that ISE not working on Win8.1 but many of my froiends are using ISE on Win8.1. Please Help to resolve this issue

0 Kudos
Visitor krb686
Visitor

Jump to solution

That works, but is really not even necessary.  If you copy the fuse.exe that ningunos linked earlier, or the one from your bin/nt64 folder into your bin/nt folder, you can open the 32-bit ISE, open and change projects without crashing, and run simulation.

I had this same problem.  ISE 64 bit will open on my machine (Win 8.1 - 64 bit), and it would crash like yours, but the simulation from 64-bit works.  For some reason, the 32-bit does not crash, but the ISIM does not work. So it's just mixing and matching the two working components together.

Also, one of the Xilinx license manager programs crashes as well (believe 64-bit, not sure). If you just run the other one, it works fine too

0 Kudos