cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tz_rrt
Visitor
Visitor

FIFO Empty Error in Post Implementation Timesim

I have a simple FIFO re-used in a few places in out design.

16-bits wide, 256 deep, asynchronous, implemented in Distributed Ram.

Write Clock: 120 MHz

Read Clock: 320 MHz

Implementation timing summary says all timings are met.

I have a case where the SLOW corner timesim shows the empty signal drop for one readclk cycle when it should not.

There is a write active at the same time, but empty should take synchronization cycles to propagate.

Due to the one-cycle error on empty, our logic reads the next entry - but since the FIFO had not actually propagated the write thru yet, the read just gets old data.

I attached a screenshot of the condition.  

Wondering if I should consider it a real failure ... What could cause this?   From experience, the simulator is pretty accurate.

I can probably accommodate the additional latency, and 1 cycle block on empty, but this is a very nasty bug.

FIFO_EmptyError.JPG
0 Kudos
2 Replies
bandi

Hi @tz_rrt ,

Do you see expected behavior in behavioral simulation for FIFO?

Can you please share a test case to check this issue?

Thanks & Regards,
Sravanthi B
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
tz_rrt
Visitor
Visitor

I do see the correct behavior in behavioral and FAST sim.  

SLOW fails, but probably clock alignment sensitive, because I only see the failure once in my test-case.

I cannot post our design.   I did post the failing FIFO, but so far I have not seen a failure with a generic test-case.

0 Kudos