Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

FIFO Simulation with QuestaSim

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I am using Vivado 2015.4.1 and QuestaSim 10.4c on Windows 7.

I generated a FIFO using IP Catalog(FIFO Generator v.13) and used in a design, upto this point it was fine, everything is ok. However when I wanted to simulate the FIFO, I got an error like:

...Library fifo_generator_v13_0_1 not found.

Then I checked the libraries, simulation sources.  The testbench instantiates the fifo from the simulation directory under the generated ip directory(the wrapper), also I added the "fifo_generator_vhdl_beh.vhd" (which the wrapper instantiates) and mapped it to the "fifo_generator_v13_0_1" library.

The wrapper file instantiates a component called fifo_generator_v13_0_1 , but the file fifo_generator_vhdl_beh.vhd does not have one. So, in the hierarchy tab, under simulation sources, the wrapper's sub-module has the "?"  for fifo_generator_v13_0_1.

I checked several times, and search on the forums to find what I did wrong or miss, but couldnt find anything.

I tried the same flow with Block Memory Generator just to compare the flow, I mean adding simulation files, mapping libraries etc. and it worked with no problem.

I wonder if anyone faced such an issue, or have any idea about this ?

Sorry, for not posting any piece of code or screenshots, because I couldnt export anything from the machine I use for the project.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: FIFO Simulation with QuestaSim

Jump to solution

Hi @tallman18

Edit the _compile.do file to remove testfifo.vhd file and run it manually in questa followed by elaborate.do and simulate.do

vcom -64 -93 -work xil_defaultlib ../../../fifosimtest.srcs/sources_1/ip/testfifo/testfifo_sim_netlist.vhdl  ../../../fifosimtest.srcs/sim_1/new/testfifo_tb.vhd 

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @tallman18

Generate the scripts from Vivado and use them for simulation. Change the simulator to Questasim in simulation settings and use launch_simulation -scripts_only command in TCL console to generate the scripts.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi vemulad, thanks for your quick response. I tried your suggestion but no luck. I got the same error.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @tallman18

Is it possible to upload the simulation log files here?

Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution
Unfortunately, I couldnot export anything from the project PC, however I create the same project with another PC and attached as below. Mahir,
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @tallman18

I dont see any any attachment in your post, can you upload the file again?

Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Sorry, I am posting again.

Mahir,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @tallman18

I have generated the IP example design from your XCI file and ran simulation in Questa which went on fine. Can you attach the simulation log of your run?

Have you compiled the Xilinx libraries for Questa using compile_simlib?

Attaching the log files of my run for your reference.

Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Here the tcl console logs and screen shots. I compiled the simulation libraries and set the path in the simulation settings.

In the compile log of your run there are lots of different files compiled like

testfifo_pkg.vhd

testfifo_rng.vhd

I couldnt see them under the fifo's generated files. Do I need to add any library in the testbench, as you can see I didnt add any library in the testbench file other than the standard ones.

Mahir,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @tallman18

No those files are example design files, you need not compile them.

I see below errors in your log file

# ** Error: ../../../fifosimtest.srcs/sources_1/ip/testfifo/testfifo_sim_netlist.vhdl(121): (vcom-1484) Unknown formal identifier "IS_CLKARDCLK_INVERTED".

It looks like you have not compiled the libraries propertly. In vivado go to Tools --> compile simulation libraries , select simulator, desired output location, sim exec path and click on Compile.

Try using these new set of compiled libraries in simulation settings and let us know if you still see the errors.

Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

I re-compile the libraries, and try with them, now the log look likes as attached. Complaining about a library that I have already added.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @tallman18

Edit the _compile.do file to remove testfifo.vhd file and run it manually in questa followed by elaborate.do and simulate.do

vcom -64 -93 -work xil_defaultlib ../../../fifosimtest.srcs/sources_1/ip/testfifo/testfifo_sim_netlist.vhdl  ../../../fifosimtest.srcs/sim_1/new/testfifo_tb.vhd 

Thanks,
Deepika.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

At last :) . Thanks for all your help.

By the way, removing the testfifo.vhd from the gui also worked. However it is a little bit confused me because to simulate the fifo, it is said to use the behavioral models under the generated files(testfifo.vhd, fifo_generator_**.vhd).

0 Kudos