UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

FSM Simulation Problem

Jump to solution

Hello

I'm trying to learn vhdl simulation and trying to solve a problem regarding to my design but after working almost two days cannot see the point I'm missing. Could anyone have a look at and point me to the mistake ?

This is a Finite State Machine simulation to transmit some data after reading 17 byte ram (1 byte for sync + 16 byte data). 

There are two controller "flag" to start the process and repeat itself until all data transmitted.

First thing: repeating process look behaving independently than "Link_Info" if clause,

Second: There is a 0 after each data and the first data 127 is sent two times?? How is this possible and where al these o are coming from??

Period_Over_Flag: Start the process (time to transmit data flag) 

Link_Info: controlls the line busy/idle if idle send the next byte!

Best regards and thanks in advance :)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: FSM Simulation Problem

Jump to solution

Dear @hgleamon1

Thank you for your answer. Line 66 doesn't hurt anything but useless. It only updates "s_Link_Status_Flag" and gives  the correct value. So I have the correct info when I need it below. But anyway line 46 was removed.

Solution came from line 100, s_Data_Part <= X"00";

What a pity I didn't clearly understand the effect but when I remove this line I got the correct bytes after each "Link Idle" info (attached).

The only issue left I couldn't transmit the last byte. 

Best wishes. 

Edit: When I add one more byte to the end of RAM block this is solved as well. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mentor hgleamon1
Mentor

Jump to solution

The Data_Part = 0 comes from the fact that you have a rising edge detector in your code for Link_Info. In your state machine, in the TRANSMISSION state, you look for the effective rising edge (s_Link_Status_Flag = '1') but, as this is a rising edge detector, it is only true for a single clock edge. If s_Link_Status_Flag = '0' then s_Data_Part <= X"00", as per your own code.

I haven't looked deeper yet but perhaps the 127 data repeating is a function of the clock delay for outputs from BRAMs. I'm still checking.

EDIT: It would be a lot easier to visually debug if the signal s_Link_Status_Flag was shown in the simulation. I think you need to look at what clock edges signals are becoming active in the way you want them. i.e. I think you are seeing a delay in the addr assignment due to the pipelining of the Link_Info signal. I can't be sure because I can't see the signal in your simulation (and I haven't simulated your design myself).

----------
"That which we must learn to do, we learn by doing." - Aristotle
0 Kudos
Mentor hgleamon1
Mentor

Jump to solution

OK, I'm warming up to this now. I simulated it anyway.

You should definitely look at lines 46 and 66 in your DO_fsm.vhd file. Do you notice anything?

----------
"That which we must learn to do, we learn by doing." - Aristotle
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Dear @hgleamon1

Thank you for your answer. Line 66 doesn't hurt anything but useless. It only updates "s_Link_Status_Flag" and gives  the correct value. So I have the correct info when I need it below. But anyway line 46 was removed.

Solution came from line 100, s_Data_Part <= X"00";

What a pity I didn't clearly understand the effect but when I remove this line I got the correct bytes after each "Link Idle" info (attached).

The only issue left I couldn't transmit the last byte. 

Best wishes. 

Edit: When I add one more byte to the end of RAM block this is solved as well. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos