Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
siticompany
Adventurer
Adventurer

Functions and Procedures step in debug

Hi, colleagues.

I feel it's a bit dumb question, but anyway...

While I'm debugging and using step by step, line by line, execution and come across function or procedure, I cannot step inside this function or procedure to find out error source if it is inside this function or procedure.

It makes debugging much more tedious.

How to find what is going on there?

Ilya
0 Kudos
4 Replies
vijayak
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @siticompany

Try adding more display statements and break points where you feel that you want to keep a watch.

Can you please explain a bit more in details on what you are looking for.

Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
siticompany
Adventurer
Adventurer

Sorry my vague explanation.

I mean that in simulator I can make a break point on almost each line of VHDL process.

But I cannot make break points inside of functions/procedures and cannot make a "step" into it. If I use any (faluty) function/procedure inside of a process and make a break point on the line with this function and then I press "step" button, I see only incorrect result if this function/procedure and don't see how do I get. Placing report statements on every line of faulty function is very tedious as well as unrolling of this function inside of the process in order to get an access to internals of this function/process.

In debuggers for languages like C there is a button "step into" to get into a function to see what is happening there. Is there any way to do something similar in Vivado?

Ilya
0 Kudos
nicolasp51862
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

I experience the same issue in vivado 2017.2.

I can't set a breakpoint in a procedure or function.

UP ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
alangford
Participant
Participant

Xilinx ....

Any update on this topic? Im also experiencing this in Vivado 2017.2. This limitation severely reduces the usefulness of the xsim debug mode ... a feature which Ive used extensively with Modelsim and Riviera.

2017.2 is my first exposure to Vivado so I cant comment on whether or not this feature was present in earlier releases.

0 Kudos