cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Getting HDL compiler to ignore standard xsim.ini?

Jump to solution

When running xvhdl with a project file, it spends significant time starting up.  I use it to check syntax of a module from my editor while working.

The tool loads :

<Vivado_Install_Dir>/data/xsim/xsim.ini

every single time.

I am only using standard libraries, no pre-compiled IP so I can remove 99% of this file and it's significantly quicker. It shouldn't be necessary to modify stock files though.

I tried the -initfile option, but this only *appends* library paths.

Any workaround?

Thanks,

MikeJ

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: Getting HDL compiler to ignore standard xsim.ini?

Jump to solution

I've submitted an enhancement request to dev team.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

For compilation, I don't think xsim.ini is referenced. Each source file just compiles to the specific library based on the .prj file.

Can you show more details on "the tool loads the xsim.ini every single time"?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

It certainlty is, evey time - and it's slow. My script builds the project files v_files.txt and then calls xvlog

Copying file icon.ngc
Invoking: xvlog -v 2 -L work=work -prj C:\dev_replay\_r2\replay_common\cores\hello_world\tb\sim\v_files.txt -i C:\dev_replay\_r2\replay_com
mon\replay_targets\R1\tb
INFO: [XSIM 43-3427] Library Mapping: Sourcing library mapping file "C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2019.2\data/xsim/xsim.ini".
INFO: [VRFC 10-233] The vhdl library search path for library "std" is now "C:/Xilinx/Vivado/2019.2/data/xsim/vhdl/std_2008"
INFO: [VRFC 10-232] The veri library search path for library "std" is now "C:/Xilinx/Vivado/2019.2/data/xsim/vhdl/std_2008"
INFO: [VRFC 10-233] The vhdl library search path for library "ieee" is now "C:/Xilinx/Vivado/2019.2/data/xsim/vhdl/ieee_2008"
INFO: [VRFC 10-232] The veri library search path for library "ieee" is now "C:/Xilinx/Vivado/2019.2/data/xsim/vhdl/ieee_2008"

and the same when I call xvhd. I have removed 90% of the content from C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2019.2\data/xsim/xsim.ini and it is significantly quicker. If I include a local ini file with library mapping, it still reads the default one.

There also seems to be no caching at the moment, it will run though and analyze every file every time I call the script. No noticeable difference between the first run with a clean library and subsequent ones.

I can use the same build system targetting modelsim and even the "free" Intel version is way faster. This is important when you are itterating and debugging a design.

/Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Any update on this? For the moment it's fine hacking the default file, but this not a great solution.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

The compilers attempt to read xsim.ini from these locations in the following order:

1.<Vivado_Install_Dir>/data/xsim

2.User-filespecified through the -initfile switch. If -initfile is not specified, theprogram searches for xsim.ini in the current working directory.

From 2018.2 release onwards, xilinx provides two init files named as xsim.ini andxsim_legacy.ini. The xsim_legacy.inifile is similar to xsim.ini of older version. It containsmapping for unisim library while the new xsim.inifile contains mapping for all the files of unisimlibrary along with the mapping for pre-compiled IP.

If you want to get rid of the pre-compiled IP library, I'd suggest that you back up the xsim.ini and rename xsim_legacy.ini to xsim.ini in the install directory.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi Graces,

Thanks for the reply. I understand the search order.

I believe there should be a switch to stop the reading of <Vivado_Install_Dir>/data/xsim

If I have specified an -initfile with the files I want, I really don't want it to go read the rather bloated default file as well. It takes a significant amount of time on every iteration.

Yes I can rename / delete /edit the default, but for users of my simulation scripts this is a big ask.

Can you put in a feature request for me?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

I've submitted an enhancement request to dev team.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Super thanks, let's close for now then.

/Mike

0 Kudos