cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

How do I use Xilinx IP in Aldec for simulation?

Jump to solution

I have tried compiling the Xilinx library unisim, but I keep getting the error, "no default binding for component 'fifo_generator_v13_0_1'. I have read in other form posts that I have to compile the component myself and that it is available in <project name>.srcs/sources_1/ipshared/xilinx.com/<name of component>/simulation/<name of component>_beh.vhd

However, if I add this file to my compilation in Aldec, I get the error that the library "fifo_generator_v13_0_1" does not exist. 

Perhaps this is a simple question. I've spent the entire day trying to figure this out; I would appreciate an explanation of how to get this to work in very simple terms. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I will outline the method that I've used. Xilinx used to have a very good way of doing, but it has since become more convoluted. The method of launching the simulation from Vivado is one that I don't like so much since a Vivado project must first be created. I prefer to create the IP I need from Vivado and export to to my project. Here are my steps.

1. Two approaches for creating the scripts necessary:

export_ip_user_files
then navigate to <project name>.ip_user_files/sim_scripts/<simulator>

export_simulation -directory <output_directory> -simulator <simulator_name> -of_objects [get_files <ip_name>.xci]
*see tcl help file for more detail on command
**use "activehdl" in the simulator_name field. It doesn't mention in the docs, but it will work.

2. Next thing to do is open the folder where the scripts were created. Run the .sh file.

3. Copy the libraries (<ip_name> and xil_defaultlib) into the Aldec directory. INCLUDE THE .MGF files as well

4. Import the .lib files into Aldec.

5. Include these lines at the top of the file that needs the IP:

library xil_defaultlib;
use xil_defaultlib.all;

6. Instantiate the component as normal.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Aldec offers support for the simulators Aldec Active-HDL and Riviera-PRO.

Please contact Aldec if you need assistance.

Integration of Aldec simulator into Vivado is in beta support in the 2014.4 release.

You can enable the flow by setting the following parameter before opening a project:

set_param project.enableAldecUnifiedFlow 1

For detailed instructions on running the flow in Vivado 2014.4, please refer to Aldec Application Notes:

Active-HDL
Riviera-PRO

Starting in Vivado 2015.1, Active-HDL and Riviera-PRO are now integrated into the Vivado IDE.

To launch simulation for these two simulators,

1. Create or open a Vivado project
  2. Set the target simulator to Riviera-PRO or Active-HDL
  3. Run simulation

Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I will outline the method that I've used. Xilinx used to have a very good way of doing, but it has since become more convoluted. The method of launching the simulation from Vivado is one that I don't like so much since a Vivado project must first be created. I prefer to create the IP I need from Vivado and export to to my project. Here are my steps.

1. Two approaches for creating the scripts necessary:

export_ip_user_files
then navigate to <project name>.ip_user_files/sim_scripts/<simulator>

export_simulation -directory <output_directory> -simulator <simulator_name> -of_objects [get_files <ip_name>.xci]
*see tcl help file for more detail on command
**use "activehdl" in the simulator_name field. It doesn't mention in the docs, but it will work.

2. Next thing to do is open the folder where the scripts were created. Run the .sh file.

3. Copy the libraries (<ip_name> and xil_defaultlib) into the Aldec directory. INCLUDE THE .MGF files as well

4. Import the .lib files into Aldec.

5. Include these lines at the top of the file that needs the IP:

library xil_defaultlib;
use xil_defaultlib.all;

6. Instantiate the component as normal.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @cpagravel

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. This will be helpful to other forum members.

Please close the thread by marking the solution in the interest of other users.

Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos