UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

ISIM Crashing in Windows 10 when drag-and-drop attempted.

Visitor

ISIM Crashing in Windows 10 when drag-and-drop attempted.

At my work, we've switched computers, and I've been given a Windows 10 machine. The last machine I worked on used Windows 7. We are using the ISE 14.7 software suite. On installing and licensing and migrating the project files to the new machine, I'm getting a crash every time I attempt to drag and drop a Instance/Process or Signal in the simulation window. The design simulates correctly, the GUI is what is broken.

I've reinstalled the ISE suite, with no change in behavior. I've also tried the 32-bit verison of Project Manager; the process fails with "ERROR:Simulator:861 - Failed to link the design" when a simulation is attempted. This happens even with the Project Files Cleaned between starts of the 32-bit Project Navigator.

Re: ISIM Crashing in Windows 10 when drag-and-drop attempted.

Hi stephen_carlson@byu.edu

Could be related to unsupported OS. We dont support Windows 10 for ISE design suite.

As a workaround try using add to wave window (right click on the signal) method and see if that helps.

Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.

Hi stephen_carlson@byu.edu,

Windows10 is unsupported OS. To get a list of supported OS for ISE 14.7 please follow page-7 of following link

http://china.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_7/irn.pdf

1. Can you try with example design just to check if you are getting the same issue or not?
  2. Though Windows10 is unsupported and we don't recommend to use ISE in windows 10 still some of the users are able to install it successfully. You can go through some videos or documents online  regarding this which might be helpful to you.

Thanks,
Arpan

Thanks,
Arpan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visitor

Addendum and Update

I found other issues, such as ISE crashing on attempting to "Add Source" in the GUI. We ended up creating a virtual machine with a Windows 7 install, which solved all the issues, but the prime problem remains that I cannot work in ISE in Windows 10 natively.

Will ISE be updated for Windows 10 at any point in the future? If not, my company is left with having to downgrade the OS for each designer working on non-Vivado parts such as the Spartan-6.

Re: Addendum and Update

Hi stephen_carlson@byu.edu,

Glad to know that your issue got resolved with supported OS.

ISE is in maintainace mode. As of now there are no plans to support Windows10 with ISE.

If your query is addressed please close the thread by marking "Accept as solution" to the answer that led you to solution.

Thanks,
Arpan

Thanks,
Arpan
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
Visitor

Re: Addendum and Update

I stumbled on this post while researching an upcoming Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade.

I find it pretty disappointing that Xilinx has taken this stance, and I think it is against Xilinx' best interests.  Consider these facts:

1.  Microsoft is now only providing security updates to Windows 7, and is thus essentially forcing users to upgrade to Windows 10, and to do it SOON - by the end of July 2016.

2.  Many of us have been working with devices that Vivado simply does not support.  It isn't an option.  Whether it be a case of a legacy device deployed by a smaller coroporation that does not have the resources to keep and extra development seat around, a university student, a hobbyist or a youngster just getting started, legacy devices have to exist in millions of devices, and give newcomers an affordable entry point into hardware development for your devices.  

3.  You'd rather maybe I migrate to Intel/Altera?  I can tell you I am certainly look at that option right now.  If I have to upgrade to a new device, new development board AND new tools, there is no reason not to open up my investigation. 

4.  The changes to get ISE running fully in 32 and 64 bit environments would be very modest, as one can tell from the workarounds.  But workarounds sometimes leave people with a *very* uncomfortable feeling about the future.

So why continue to anger and disappoint people when fixing it would be relatively easy?

Visitor

I had a similar problem simulating a Spartan-6 design in Windows 10 using ISE 14.6. I could only compile successfully using the 64 bit window and the ISIM GUI would open, but some interactions with the window such as drag and dropping or the open dialog would crash the software. I also could not compile the design with 32-bit ISE (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION...)

No amount of running as administrator or setting compatibility modes would fix it, then I realized that since ISE would not recompile a design unless changes were detected in the source, I could compile the design in  ISE 64-bit, close it, open ISE 32 bit, double click "Simulate Behavioral Model" and it would open the perfectly functional 32-bit ISIM GUI and run the precompiled design.

It's kind of clunky so I ended up replacing the 64-bit isimgui.exe in the bin/nt64 folder (after backing it up) with the 32-bit isimgui.exe in the bin/nt folder and it's been working OK for me.

Nevertheless it's really sketchy that a device advertised on the Xilinx store-front has no supported development tools. This jumping through hoops is not something I expect out of software you in some cases still have to pay money for.

Visitor

ISE & ISIM for windows 10

Will there ever be a windows 10 version?

thank you

Fausto

Since last year m using 14.7 on windows 10 I didn't get such isim issues but now m getting isim hanging issues. On unbuntu shall we get same isuues?

Hi makshay157@gmail.com,

Please open a new thread for this issue.

Regards,

Sravanthi B