cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

ISIM (v14.2) crashes on Win7 x64

Hi,

I was using ISIM (v14.2) without failure for about a year. Since a couple of days the application crashes on exit or when trying to Re-Launch the simulation. This behavior shows up when simulating an FFT CORE (Xilinx v7.1). I'm running Windows 7, 64 Bit. The following is copied from the Windows event viewer and shows the entry from a crash while exiting the application.

Faulting application name: isimgui.exe, Version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4ffbbf9e

Faulting module name: libSimBridgeData.dll, Version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4ffb9000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000092a0
Faulting process id: 0xf68
Faulting application start time: 0x01cecb28ef6f046c
Faulting application path: c:\Xilinx\14.2\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt64\unwrapped\isimgui.exe
Faulting module path: c:\Xilinx\14.2\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt64\libSimBridgeData.dll
Report Id: 4f6ac6f0-371c-11e3-b66f-001999e0675b

When I hit the "Re-Launch" button I receive the following Error before the application blew up:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Program: c:\Xilinx\14.2\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt64\unwrapped\isimgui.exe

R6025

- pure virtual function call

When simulating other testbenches ISIM does not crash!

Another observation that I've made regards the plotted waveforms. Depending on the zoom level and scrolling of the waveform plot, ISIM shows the following creepy overlay:

isim_1.PNG

As a comparison, see the same detail in another zoom level:

isim_2.PNG

The strange behavior which occurs on horizontal scrolling is exemplarily captured in the following pictures. The bus is a 5bit unsigned whose actual value is 4. However, if scrolling horizontal, the signal changes from 4 to 2. Notice the swap of bits 1 and 2. These details are taken with the same zoom level.

isim_3.PNG

isim_4.PNG

I have desperately browse the internet and have tried the following things to get around these errors.

1. reinstalled the Xilinx ISE Design Suite

2. installed the most recent version (v14.6)

3. reinstalled the C++ redistributables

Unfortunately, nothing has worked for me so far and hopefully, somebody here in the Xilinx community has some advice for me.

One last note which might be helpful...

I'm calling ISIM via the console and for this specific testbench I must set the timeprecision parameter from 'ns' to 'ps' in order to avoid warnings like:

"Time unit ps is less than the vhdl time precision."

Regards and many thanks in advance,

Christian

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

I'm having the same problem (not using FFT core like above) with ISIM blowing up on Win 7 64 Home edition.  As long as I don't refresh the wavefrom screen to show more timing information it runs fine.  But if I expand the display enough that  those goofy overlaying waveforms show up, the next run the screen goes nuts with errors and terminates.  ISIM 14.4 and 14.6 both do the same thing.  ISIM.log shows nothing out of the ordinary.  If the ISIM doesn't blow up to the point of terminating, the TB actually runs with correct data in the ISIM.log file.  I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS!!!!  Using a different PC with 14.4 same code but Win 7 64 Enterprise edition there isn't a problem.  Win7 HE Event Viewer info:

isimgui.exe
      50bee743
      ntdll.dll
      521eaf24
      c0000005
      0000000000029af6
      1bc
      01ced71b7684e1a7
      C:\Xilinx\14.4\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt64\unwrapped\isimgui.exe
      C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
      cb8d912d-430e-11e3-9b7e-bcaec58ad680
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Please ensure that simulation is ran on a Windows 7 64/32 bit Professional Edition.

Microsoft Windows Support
• Windows XP Professional (32-bit and 64-bit), English/Japanese
• Windows 7 Professional (32-bit and 64-bit), English/Japanese
• Windows Server 2008 (64-bit)

Other editions are not supported as the tools are not tested on them. Also, most of the times using the 32-bit version of ISIM in 64-bit works fine in such situations. These issues are difficult to fix as they occur only in specific machines.
Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Upgraded to Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, made no difference.  Won't run in 32 bit ISIM either.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

@debrajr wrote:
 These issues are difficult to fix as they occur only in specific machines.

Well my machine and clearly many other users' machines have this issue and have not gotten get rid of it. This has been a known issue for years. I find it hard to believe Xilinx has been unable to find a machine that reproduces this behavior consistenly. If Xilinx really does want to fix this issue I will gladly send my motherboard information so they can reproduce it.

I understand that intermittent issues are the hardest to debug.

I also understand that Xilinx continues to avoid fixing common known issues in multiple tools for multiple versions always promising to fix them next time. Claiming that this is an isolated issue is copout for fixing crappy software.

I do, however, appreciate the Xilinx repsonse.

Josh

0 Kudos
Highlighted

We would be interested to try your testcase at our end and check it. You can create a new post and add your testcase there for us to check.
Regards,
Debraj
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

I'm seeing similar issue after changing from a 32-bit machine to a 64-bit machine. Both are Windows 7.

On the 32-bit machine simulation works (as Isim works - only crashing once or twice a day), but on the 64-bit machine several things goes wrong:

1) Weird shadows on signals, some signals appear to be both 0 and 1 (presumably a quantum effect).

2) Some signals becomes 'X' on the screen but appears to have logic value in the simulation.

3) Zooming in on signals make the signals 'go flat'.

4) Simulations crashes more frequently.

Simulations are done on exactly the same code as on the old 32-bit machine. Every fault item does not appear in all simulations, but appear completely reproducable. 

I've tried this on 14.6 and 14.7 - same results. I've also tried running starting navigator in 32-bit and thus Isim in 32-bit - same result.

My system is a Dell Precision M4800 with Windows 7 Service pack 1, 32GB RAM, 64-bit.

Isim_looks_weird.png
0 Kudos
Highlighted

@tsjorgensen In some cases, the waveform viewer of ISim has been known to crash or produce diffulcult to read waveforms making the use of the waveform viewer .There is an alternate way to view the simulation results from ISim.

The ISim tool has the ability to export the waveform in the VCD format. This format is used by many 3rd party simulators to view the simulation waveforms.

GTKWave:

In addition to 3rd party simulations, there is also a free simulation tool called GTKWave.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gtkwave/

VCD Generation Example:

The details for the generation of the VCDfiles are contained in the ISim User'sGuide under the Writing Activity Data for Power Consumption section. The following is an example from that guide:

1.) Run ISim in command line mode

2.) Enter the following ISim commands to dump all signals of the simulation to the VCD file:

vcd dumpfile mydump.vcd

vcd dumpvars -m /

run 100ns

vcd dumpflush

3.) The VCD file will be saved in the current working directory.

4.) Open the VCD file in the waveform viewer such as GTKWave

Regards,
Debraj

0 Kudos